Archival Framing

  • mpmh60201
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2004
      This was one of the most important messages posted on the
      site! Please print the information and keep it handy. As a
      practicing exhibition artist, I know well of the costs involved to
      matting and framing artwork. However, for those of you new to
      this field: first focus on where you want to go with your work,
      know your market, and, most importantly, what is the quality of
      your image? A lovely piece of artwork will be enhanced by
      quality framing (not overwhelmed by it). A technically poor piece,
      no matter how it's framed, will have difficulty selling. Secondly,
      is the cost involvement worth it? I've learned to frame only
      pieces going into exhibition. All other work is archivally matted
      and put into archival self seal bags (note: use archival boxes and
      tissue for fabric) to prevent dust/dirt damage as well as other
      environmental issues. There should not be a problem selling
      work in this manner and it helps build that little bank account for
      framing the masterpieces! Most clients want to frame the work
      they purchased themselves and you can consult with them about
      framing, thus, eliminating costly overhead for the artist.
      A simple, straightforward presentation works well! Fifty
      framed pieces- paper, silk, or canvas, with no place to go is a
      tough on anyone's pocketbook, and art fairs (again, know your
      market) are not a guarantee that you will sell any of them plus it's
      hard on that little "ego" always assuring you that your work is
      terrific!).

      Finally, my advise would be to create the most beautiful, unique
      work possible, and step into the stream after you are sure which
      way the current is flowing! This old grasshopper has learned to
      swim AND use a bridge over the years! -Milena