Re: [Marbling] Re: oil paint marbling on no size just water?

  • gretchen vansant
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
      This was just up ...digest 796...It seems hes givin us some years of experimenting info in oils .Theres always great info here but ya gotta watch for it. Thank you Tomas Viavant as follows.......good luck gretchen re maebling on canvas: i have been oil marbling fir several years,
      marble both on paper and canvas. hiwever it has been a long time since
      marbled on canvas. for a long time i did not use any thickener in the
      water. just 20 nule tean boxax. 1/4 cup per gallon. first heat one
      water to boiling, stir in borax, add to water and let cool. my first
      painti ngs on canvas were done with commercial enemals. i wiuld skim
      a can of enamel the oil floaring on top and then use that oil to thin
      colors i used. i later was told by a chemist at a paint company that
      oil is nostly soya resin. i mixed the light color enemals half resin
      half enemal. tjhe enemals differed with each manufacturer. i found
      the cheapest enemals worked the best. the more expensive ones have a
      of dryer in them and they dry on the water before i could nake a
      about five years ago (maybe seven) i started using printing inks
      make my colors. ny best results were 1/3 printing ink, 1/3 soya alkyd
      60 percent,and 1/3 tung oil base fueniture stain.I raise the humidity
      in ny
      studio with A hunidifier. i now use a thicxkener besides the borax.
      quite often every thing or one thing goes wrong a nd i ha ve to
      over from scratch. I dont know if any of this information will be of
      to anyone, but as i am now pushing 80, i may as well pass it on to
      any one
      interested in experimenting with oil marbling.
      should you wish to see some of my marbli ng take a look at

      tomas d'aquin aquinastomas_@...

      mlberry00 <mlberry00@...> wrote: has no one had this problem before, or does no one use oil based

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "mlberry00" <mlberry00@y...> wrote:
      > I have been trying to marble objects not paper using oil-based
      > but every paint i try it just skins up on top of the water. I have
      > tried the paste oil paints and have not had the results i want so
      > have tried all kinds of oil base liquid paints but i get this
      > problem of a skin forming. What i want to know is what is the best
      > type of oil based paint already in liquid form not paste to marble
      > with on plain water with borax or without borax mixed in the
      > I will mostly be marbling objects not paper!!

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to: