Re: Marbling machines

  • Peter Baumgartner
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
      I have a photocopy of a rare book from the beginning 20th century
      "Handbuch der Buntpapierfabrikation" (means: "Manual of fabrication of
      marbled and other papers"), in which the author August Weichelt
      described a special frame. It was used to produce "snail-figured"
      marbled papers and to bring the color accurately to the ground.

      I am going to weekend now, but on monday I will scan the picture of the
      frame and upload to my homepage.

      Peter
      -----------
      Peter Baumgartner
      Freiburg/Germany
      http://www.papierdesign.de
    • Peter Baumgartner
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
        There is a hint in Gabriele Grunebaum's "Buntpapiere" to Joseph Halfers
        Book "Die Fortschritte der Marmorierkunst" (published in english 1894
        called "Progress in Marbling"). Grunebaum writes, that in Halfers book
        is a description of a "machine" for bringing the drops in a a accurately
        way to the marbling ground. Perhaps someone on the list posseses this
        (I think very rare) book and could give more information.
        Peter
        ---------
        Peter Baumgartner
        Atelier f�r Papierdesign
        Freiburg/Germany
        http://www.papierdesign.de
      • IrisNevins
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
          I spoke to Gabrielle quite a few years ago, and she said she only knew of
          one broken one in a museum, I believe, somewhere in Germany. I have never
          seen one, but have seen the patent drawing, and it's quite large and
          complex. I have never seen one.

          I wish I had one this week.....doing hundered of the same paper!