Animistic Light

  • mpmh60201
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2004
      In the current issue of Art on Paper" (July-August) there is an
      article about the marbled artwork of Philip Taaffe (anyone know
      him?), including seven works, with one on the cover. The writer
      of the article states that "his scrupulous techniques arise out of
      a pictorial ambition that is largely unparralleled by any artist of
      his generation". Excuse me!!!! We've all seen or done this type of
      work very early on in our marbling careers. This honorable fine
      art magazine should be credited to bringing marbling to the
      forefront as an artistic technique, however...READ and post
      comments.
      Milena
    • IRIS NEVINS
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2004
        I know P.Taffe.....not well, but he came over to learn marbling techniques with me to incorporate into his artwork. He is quite a brilliant painter actually, but I have not seen anything he did with the marbling.I had seen attempts at oil marbling he did prior to his lesson with me, they were, yes, indeed the type of things we all did in the beginning, though I admit his color sense was light years beyond what mine was initially. I don't know what he did with the watercolor marbling though. He was extremely enthusiastic, and a delightful person to work with.....though he made no bones about the fact he did not intend to persue the traditional marbling route. He liked the organic forms very much, in as much as they would contribute to his paintings. I would attribute the magazine's comments to their naivete about marbling. I do not believe Phillip pretends to be a fine traditional marbler, but a painter who likes the possibility of introducing these effects into his artwork.

        Can the article be viewed online? Thanks for bringing this to our attention Milena....

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2004
          Did a google search, one result has some images

          http://www.artnet.com/ag/FineArtThumbnails.asp?
          currpage=2&aid=16362&ViewSize=large

          Above is page 2
          Also click page 3

          > Can the article be viewed online? Thanks for bringing this to our
          attention Milena....

          > Iris Nevins

        • Technotabby
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15, 2004
            I think you may have meant to link to the URL:

            http://www.artnet.com/artist/16362/Philip_Taaffe.html

            There are 3 pages of Philip Taaffe's works displayed there.

            -Lorraine

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
              Interesting! Now if only we could do a marbled image and command the prices I would imagine Taffe commands as a well recognized artist. Maybe this is a good thing for marbling though, perhaps lead more people in the art world to it. I can't see his finer details well at this site, he is an excellent and creative painter in my humble opinion. I was more under the impression that he was incorporating little bits of marbling into a larger painting, but maybe that is just not pictured here.

              Thanks Lorraine, somehow the word wrap messed up the link

              At 08:35 PM 15-07-04 -0700, you wrote:
              >I think you may have meant to link to the URL:
              >
              >http://www.artnet.com/artist/16362/Philip_Taaffe.html
              >
              >There are 3 pages of Philip Taaffe's works displayed there.
              >
              >-Lorraine

            • danilo giannoni
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2004
                hello
                my name is danilo
                did any one knows what is the real ebru art or the real means of this unique art??
                you are talking about very bad execution like you are talking about Caravaggio (if you don't know who he is i will explain you...)
                ebru is something absolute, the execution has to be perfect in all the aspect of the art... the preparation of the color, the gal, the technique and the final result has to be an spiritual and emotional expression.....
                you can't just make this for make it........ you can't call it ebru.....
                please be respectful of it if you call your self artist or art lovers

                thanks

                IRIS NEVINS <irisnevins@...> wrote:
                Interesting! Now if only we could do a marbled image and command the prices I would imagine Taffe commands as a well recognized artist. Maybe this is a good thing for marbling though, perhaps lead more people in the art world to it. I can't see his finer details well at this site, he is an excellent and creative painter in my humble opinion. I was more under the impression that he was incorporating little bits of marbling into a larger painting, but maybe that is just not pictured here.

                Thanks Lorraine, somehow the word wrap messed up the link

                At 08:35 PM 15-07-04 -0700, you wrote:
                >I think you may have meant to link to the URL:
                >
                >http://www.artnet.com/artist/16362/Philip_Taaffe.html
                >
                >There are 3 pages of Philip Taaffe's works displayed there.
                >
                >-Lorraine

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT