Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 757

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2004
      Kongress is a kind of larger size sheet that Hahnemühle used to make.
      The Library of Congress used it for endsheets for modern books in the
      open stacks. It is archival, alpha-cellulose pulp, buffered
      (unfortunately for marblers), embossed laid paper with a bright white
      or neutral ivory tone. The laid pattern was more machine looking and
      not as natural as Bugra and the other ingres. The grain was short, and
      the sheet size about 26 X 40".

      It is NOT the same as the sheet smaller size sheets of Ingres- about 19
      x 25 inches, and come in a wide range of colors- that are commonly sold
      these days.

      I'll try tat Natur text- thugh I miss parent size Ingres papers taht I
      usually marble. I don't see Arches MBM Ingres offered through NY
      Central any more either, which was a nicer sort. Fabriano is sold
      though but I don't like it as much, a bit weak forthe larger size.
      Bugra and Zerkall papers (Niddegen, Frankfurt) are terrific, but
      super-expensive these days.

      I have looked at Crane, to see if they may have something suitable.
      They DID- it was a nice tree-free Kenaf and Hemp paper with NO
      buffering! It was called their Contiuum line, - BUT they have since
      discontinued it ! (DARN!) . They have about 10,000 sheets left. It
      was modestly priced and decent pulp.

      I haven't tried the Strathmore "Charcoal" Ingres, of which a few
      colors comes in a full-parent size sheet, grain long. Unfortunately,
      the only lighter color they have in the large size is a bright white.
      I prefer ivory/natural. It would be nice to find a domestic producer.
      Yet I do think that some people are successfully using this paper,
      though mainly the smaller size sheets? How does that compare to the
      smaller Hahnemühle Ingres?

      Jake