Re: Base paper

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
      No, the paste paper sheets are just a bit rougher on the surface, otherwise=
      they behave
      like they did before. It's the sprinkled ones I'm having the problems with,=
      these paints
      need very little binding medium and penetrate the base paper much deeper th=
      an the
      coloured paste for paste paper does. It's the "normal" laid version, one si=
      de a bit smoother
      than the other.
      Oh well, it probably means I'll have to do what I have always tried to avoi=
      d: having two
      standard base papers instead of one.

      Susanne Krause

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
        Susanne......I suspect that paper makers, like commercial paint
        makers....the formula varies from one batch to the next due to laxness, I
        saw this over and over in the gouaches I started originally marbling with.
        When people , much to my surprise, started wanting to buy my papers back in
        1978, I had to have consistency.....needed to be able to copy my own
        papers. I would get tubes, particulary the red, and one batch would sink
        without oxgall, the next would spread to pink and squeeze the other colors
        to the bottom without any oxgall at all. I called Windsor Newton numerous
        times and they insisted there was no change. I think maybe the workers
        don't measure the ingredients accurately, but it is more haphazard at
        times. So the only solution was to make a decades long study (at this
        point) of marbling paint making.

        I would try and talk further to Hahnemuelle. My distributor here, Atlantic
        Papers, has guaranteed that if the papers ever don't work they will take
        them back and have a chat with the makers. I will always request a test
        sheet from the current batches these days before order thousands of sheets.
        I am not so concerned about wasting money as I am about being able to
        work!

        No, the paste paper sheets are just a bit rougher on the surface,
        otherwise=
        they behave
        like they did before. It's the sprinkled ones I'm having the problems
        with,=
        these paints
        need very little binding medium and penetrate the base paper much deeper
        th=
        an the
        coloured paste for paste paper does. It's the "normal" laid version, one
        si=
        de a bit smoother
        than the other.
        Oh well, it probably means I'll have to do what I have always tried to
        avoi=
        d: having two
        standard base papers instead of one.

        Susanne Krause
        <
      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
          I have been working with this particular sort as my standard since about 19=
          95, I have
          survived all chemical changes of those years (pH etc.) without undue troubl=
          e. I looks like
          this time I'm for it.
          I suppose that, while the ingredients have not changed - Hahnemühle is cert=
          ified and
          therefore under surveillance, so major changes do not have much chance to p=
          ass
          unnoticed - minor changes within a certain limit are possible, and no one e=
          xcept
          decorated paper makers takes notice.

          It has nothing to do with the paints, I think. They came from my own stock =
          and look, smell
          feel the same as always. No frost, no heat, no pests, dry and dark storage =
          place.

          The Kongress paper is unknown to me, at least by that name.

          What seems an interesting explanation to me is that they have made the pape=
          r machine
          run quicker (suggested by another of my suppliers). That could indeed make =
          the fibres
          distribute unevenly, and every sq-cm of the paper receives less pressure du=
          ring
          calandering. It would fit with what I see.

          Susanne Krause
        • mpmh60201
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
            Jake:
            I haven't heard of Kongress either. Perhaps you mean Ingres,
            made by Hahnemuhle?
            Milena