[Marbling] Base paper

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 14, 2004
      Is that for paste paper.....I just sampled a new lot of NaturText and it
      marbled just fine.
      Hmmmmm, better not be more paper trouble. Is it a smooth paper?

      To those among you who use Hahnemühle Natural Line (Natural Tex in US, I
      be=
      lieve):

      I am having an ugly problem with the last lot; paints cannot brushed on
      eve=
      nly but make a
      cloudy, "boggy" appearance. The surface is dull and flat. Both the factory
      =
      and my supplier
      are searching for reasons, while claiming nothing has been changed. Has
      any=
      one had the
      same results with a new lot?

      Susanne Krause<
    • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
        No, the paste paper sheets are just a bit rougher on the surface, otherwise=
        they behave
        like they did before. It's the sprinkled ones I'm having the problems with,=
        these paints
        need very little binding medium and penetrate the base paper much deeper th=
        an the
        coloured paste for paste paper does. It's the "normal" laid version, one si=
        de a bit smoother
        than the other.
        Oh well, it probably means I'll have to do what I have always tried to avoi=
        d: having two
        standard base papers instead of one.

        Susanne Krause

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
          Susanne......I suspect that paper makers, like commercial paint
          makers....the formula varies from one batch to the next due to laxness, I
          saw this over and over in the gouaches I started originally marbling with.
          When people , much to my surprise, started wanting to buy my papers back in
          1978, I had to have consistency.....needed to be able to copy my own
          papers. I would get tubes, particulary the red, and one batch would sink
          without oxgall, the next would spread to pink and squeeze the other colors
          to the bottom without any oxgall at all. I called Windsor Newton numerous
          times and they insisted there was no change. I think maybe the workers
          don't measure the ingredients accurately, but it is more haphazard at
          times. So the only solution was to make a decades long study (at this
          point) of marbling paint making.

          I would try and talk further to Hahnemuelle. My distributor here, Atlantic
          Papers, has guaranteed that if the papers ever don't work they will take
          them back and have a chat with the makers. I will always request a test
          sheet from the current batches these days before order thousands of sheets.
          I am not so concerned about wasting money as I am about being able to
          work!

          No, the paste paper sheets are just a bit rougher on the surface,
          otherwise=
          they behave
          like they did before. It's the sprinkled ones I'm having the problems
          with,=
          these paints
          need very little binding medium and penetrate the base paper much deeper
          th=
          an the
          coloured paste for paste paper does. It's the "normal" laid version, one
          si=
          de a bit smoother
          than the other.
          Oh well, it probably means I'll have to do what I have always tried to
          avoi=
          d: having two
          standard base papers instead of one.

          Susanne Krause
          <
        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
            I have been working with this particular sort as my standard since about 19=
            95, I have
            survived all chemical changes of those years (pH etc.) without undue troubl=
            e. I looks like
            this time I'm for it.
            I suppose that, while the ingredients have not changed - Hahnemühle is cert=
            ified and
            therefore under surveillance, so major changes do not have much chance to p=
            ass
            unnoticed - minor changes within a certain limit are possible, and no one e=
            xcept
            decorated paper makers takes notice.

            It has nothing to do with the paints, I think. They came from my own stock =
            and look, smell
            feel the same as always. No frost, no heat, no pests, dry and dark storage =
            place.

            The Kongress paper is unknown to me, at least by that name.

            What seems an interesting explanation to me is that they have made the pape=
            r machine
            run quicker (suggested by another of my suppliers). That could indeed make =
            the fibres
            distribute unevenly, and every sq-cm of the paper receives less pressure du=
            ring
            calandering. It would fit with what I see.

            Susanne Krause
          • mpmh60201
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
              Jake:
              I haven't heard of Kongress either. Perhaps you mean Ingres,
              made by Hahnemuhle?
              Milena