Base paper

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 14, 2004
      To those among you who use Hahnemühle Natural Line (Natural Tex in US, I be=
      lieve):

      I am having an ugly problem with the last lot; paints cannot brushed on eve=
      nly but make a
      cloudy, "boggy" appearance. The surface is dull and flat. Both the factory =
      and my supplier
      are searching for reasons, while claiming nothing has been changed. Has any=
      one had the
      same results with a new lot?

      Susanne Krause
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 14, 2004
        Is that for paste paper.....I just sampled a new lot of NaturText and it
        marbled just fine.
        Hmmmmm, better not be more paper trouble. Is it a smooth paper?

        =

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
          No, the paste paper sheets are just a bit rougher on the surface, otherwise=
          they behave
          like they did before. It's the sprinkled ones I'm having the problems with,=
          these paints
          need very little binding medium and penetrate the base paper much deeper th=
          an the
          coloured paste for paste paper does. It's the "normal" laid version, one si=
          de a bit smoother
          than the other.
          Oh well, it probably means I'll have to do what I have always tried to avoi=
          d: having two
          standard base papers instead of one.

          Susanne Krause

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
            Susanne......I suspect that paper makers, like commercial paint
            makers....the formula varies from one batch to the next due to laxness, I
            saw this over and over in the gouaches I started originally marbling with.
            When people , much to my surprise, started wanting to buy my papers back in
            1978, I had to have consistency.....needed to be able to copy my own
            papers. I would get tubes, particulary the red, and one batch would sink
            without oxgall, the next would spread to pink and squeeze the other colors
            to the bottom without any oxgall at all. I called Windsor Newton numerous
            times and they insisted there was no change. I think maybe the workers
            don't measure the ingredients accurately, but it is more haphazard at
            times. So the only solution was to make a decades long study (at this
            point) of marbling paint making.

            I would try and talk further to Hahnemuelle. My distributor here, Atlantic
            Papers, has guaranteed that if the papers ever don't work they will take
            them back and have a chat with the makers. I will always request a test
            sheet from the current batches these days before order thousands of sheets.
            I am not so concerned about wasting money as I am about being able to
            work!

            No, the paste paper sheets are just a bit rougher on the surface,
            otherwise=
            they behave
            like they did before. It's the sprinkled ones I'm having the problems
            with,=
            these paints
            need very little binding medium and penetrate the base paper much deeper
            th=
            an the
            coloured paste for paste paper does. It's the "normal" laid version, one
            si=
            de a bit smoother
            than the other.
            Oh well, it probably means I'll have to do what I have always tried to
            avoi=
            d: having two
            standard base papers instead of one.

            Susanne Krause
            <
          • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
              I have been working with this particular sort as my standard since about 19=
              95, I have
              survived all chemical changes of those years (pH etc.) without undue troubl=
              e. I looks like
              this time I'm for it.
              I suppose that, while the ingredients have not changed - Hahnemühle is cert=
              ified and
              therefore under surveillance, so major changes do not have much chance to p=
              ass
              unnoticed - minor changes within a certain limit are possible, and no one e=
              xcept
              decorated paper makers takes notice.

              It has nothing to do with the paints, I think. They came from my own stock =
              and look, smell
              feel the same as always. No frost, no heat, no pests, dry and dark storage =
              place.

              The Kongress paper is unknown to me, at least by that name.

              What seems an interesting explanation to me is that they have made the pape=
              r machine
              run quicker (suggested by another of my suppliers). That could indeed make =
              the fibres
              distribute unevenly, and every sq-cm of the paper receives less pressure du=
              ring
              calandering. It would fit with what I see.

              Susanne Krause
            • mpmh60201
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
                Jake:
                I haven't heard of Kongress either. Perhaps you mean Ingres,
                made by Hahnemuhle?
                Milena