[Marbling] Sprinkle bottles and the tradition of making up stories

  • irisnevins@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2004
      Yes...I find most experiments fail....but a few don't, and WOW...the
      tradition evolves!
      IrisNevins

      Iris - leave off the sprinkle bottles. They don't sprinkle, they splatter.
      The modern ones
      (those that are used also for spraying your cacti) are not much better, but
      rather on the
      fine side, and fingers tire easily. The glass or brass devices restorers
      use create a nice little
      local fog, veryvery fine and veryvery expensive. I have tried the vaporizer
      - not too bad,
      but veryvery messy.

      Some stories are and always have been international, and every corner of
      the world has its
      own variation. I don't do much deep research, but even so I find that one
      of research's
      most rewarding features is following a stoiy's or an error's way through
      literature. Some
      'quotations' crop up for centuries. I suspect that the book without an
      error that has been
      copied from another book still remains to be written; and this includes my
      own work, of
      course. I feel it teaches us to take everything we read with a grain of
      salt (even if the writer
      is thought to be the most knowledgeable of all), and not to be too sure of
      ourselves (if we
      are the writer).

      Susanne Krause
      <
    • del.mary.stubbs
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22, 2004
        I have been building a website for Mary-Celine Thouin and her work with
        adding marbling to her woodturnings and woodcarvings. The third web-page is
        re-formatted from a seven page article she wrote in 2002 for a woodworkers
        magazine. It explains thoroughly the processes she uses, and her philosophy.
        http://www.mceline-artisan.com
        Thanks, Del Stubbs (lucky hubby of above lady)