Thanks Renato

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      Thanks for posting that Renato!

      Iris is certainly right, but boy I would love that calendar machine on the third page! I
      have seen other designs, but this is one of the earliest and simplest. I have wondered
      if one of these may be hanging around in a collection- like the Dard Hunter Collection
      at the museum of American Papermaking... Or some part of Aschaffenburg....

      Polishing by hand is nice, but time and energy comsuming!

      I have often wondered if the "gelatinizing" procedure described by Hauptmann,
      Doebblin and others was really used as often as this machine. I have also wondered if
      the development and use of saponfied wax additives in marbling colors accelerated
      after this machine came into use. Some seem to have an added external coating of
      (possibly) gelatine and alum over the surface before the polishing procedure.

      I have only seen one instance of a contemporary calendaring machine that is still in
      use. It was froma videotape of the Velke Losiny papermill in the Czech Republic.
      They use the machine for a final light polishing for their handmade papers. The
      polish is not super- shiny at all, just enough to smooth the surface, especially on
      stationary for writing.

      A more direct link to the article can be found by going to Cornell's site:

      http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/moa_browse.html

      click on manufacturer and builder, then 1869, then issue 3.

      thanks again,

      Jake
    • del.mary.stubbs
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
        Hello good folks, I am in the process of making a website for my dear wife,
        Mary Thouin-Stubbs and her marbled wood working. (There is much more coming,
        so if you check back in a month or two you'll see what other pages have been
        added.
        I hope to get permission soon to post her article on wood-marbling on the
        website.)
        It is so much fun to see her take her lifetime of woodworking in this
        colorful direction, I never know what will come out of the workshop anymore!
        Del Stubbs http://www.mceline-artisan.com