Re: [Marbling] talk about yer tense surface...

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 14, 2000
      Hi Jan (and thanks for the kind words, Fred!)

      First of all, I would like to let the list know that my Peters Valley
      workshop for 2000 is probably on for the 3rd weekend in October. They are
      just finalizing the dates for fall now. What is nice about the Fall session
      is that if you happen to be in college it is a for credit course that can
      be applied to most colleges, but you would have to contact Peters Valley
      for the particulars. Their number is 973-948-5200.

      Peters Valley is located in the state forest in Northwest NJ, and
      accomodations in their various guest houses may be available for the
      weekend. It is a stunningly beautiful spot near the Delaware River, the
      weather should be cool and crisp, ideal for marbling.

      All levels of marblers, beginning to advanced may take the class, because,
      while I will have to go over the basics for beginners, if you are not a
      beginner, we will be able to focus on the particular areas each individual
      may want to concentrate on. Especially on the second day, which is more a
      free for all.

      Peters Valley is just about the only outside place I teach anymore because
      I don't like travelling much, especially lugging all the supplies, but I do
      teach privately at the student's and my convenience.

      And Jan.......if you want to email a picture if possible of what is going
      on it will help. A jpeg is preferred. And don't mail it to the list because
      if it is a large file it may crash or tie up some people's computers if it
      is a large download. If you want to share it with the list you could post
      the file to the website instead.

      Best,
      Iris Nevins
    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2000
        Hello Jan,

        I hope you are fairing well with paints and bath. It sounds like you've
        begun your initiation process of research and development...variables
        abound. Hopefully you'll get to take Iris's class. Some times Pro-Chem has
        weekend marbling classes.

        You had some questions about silk. Wash your silk first (gentle cycle or by
        hand) with a mild soap to remove any residue from the silk. Note: Do tests
        noils and sueded silks to see if the results are satisfactory before buying
        too much. Taffeta/Thai and douppionni silks may be too stiff. Satisfactory
        for me is if I am able to retain line quality and if the fabric lays evenly
        and prints evenly on the surface. Sometimes it is hard to remove fabric
        sizing that may repel the alum and paint.

        Alum the fabric. Marble it with an acrylic of your choice. Although most
        marblers involved with this community email seem to use carragheenan, I use
        methyl cellulose. The main benefit is that it lasts longer and the surface
        doesn't seem to contaminate as easily with the acrylics. Some acrylics work
        better on it than others. One source is Earth Guild (800-EARTH GU).

        If you are interested in coming to the southeast for an acrylics class I'll
        be teaching a week at John C. Campbell Folk School July 31 to
        Aug. 4 (800-Folk Sch) in Brasstown, NC
        or at Arrowmont in March or June of 2001 (865-436-5860) in Gatlinburg, TN.

        Enjoy the Magic,
        Laura

        >From: Jan Walker <jwalker@...>
        >To: Marbling@egroups.com
        >Subject: [Marbling] talk about yer tense surface...
        >Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:00:36 -0400
        >
        >I was trying to adjust some size the other day to match my colors (I know,
        >it is supposed to go the other way around but hey).
        >
        >The size was too thick and I kept adding water. At least, I'm pretty sure
        >it was too thick. Somebody told me that if the size was too thin, it would
        >keep moving after you took out a patterning tool. When I pulled the color
        >into a pattern, it stubbornly flowed back towards where it had come from
        >(the opposite!) so I decided that it was thick. Water is the right thing
        >to add, rather than a surfactant or something else? (This was for marbling
        >with ProChem marbling paints, i.e. acrylics.)
        >
        >Which brings me to the question of the surface tensions. Do you have an
        >intuitive feel for which surface is "more tense" if that is the right
        >question? Or is it just that they are sort of the same surface tension (if
        >you could measure that) but incompatible due to the oil/water thing?
        >
        >I had used some colorless extender as a way of keeping more clear patches
        >open. when I put down color onto it, teeny drops of color leaped sideways
        >off the main drop onto places nearby. Once it even skittered around on the
        >surface before settling down. This is amazing to watch. Is this kind of
        >phenomenon common? If you saw that happening, would you automatically
        >think "Oops throw it all out" or "oops needs more <something>" ??
        >
        >Any thoughts? Trying to build up my intuitions without ever having seen a
        >pro do this. (Anyone giving a workshop in New England?)
        >
        >Thanks for sharing any experiences.
        >Jan Walker
        >Cambridge MA USA

      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2000
> [...]

          >Which brings me to the question of the surface tensions. Do you have an
          >intuitive feel for which surface is "more tense" if that is the right
          >question? Or is it just that they are sort of the same surface tension (if
          >you could measure that) but incompatible due to the oil/water thing?
          >
          >I had used some colorless extender as a way of keeping more clear patches
          >open. when I put down color onto it, teeny drops of color leaped sideways
          >off the main drop onto places nearby. Once it even skittered around on the
          >surface before settling down. This is amazing to watch. Is this kind of
          >phenomenon common? If you saw that happening, would you automatically
          >think "Oops throw it all out" or "oops needs more <something>" ??
          >
          >Any thoughts? Trying to build up my intuitions without ever having seen a
          >pro do this. (Anyone giving a workshop in New England?)

        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 26, 2000
            Laura, do you teach this course every summer? Or more than once a year?
            Thanks
            Jill
            >If you are interested in coming to the southeast for an acrylics class I'll
            >be teaching a week at John C. Campbell Folk School July 31 to
            >Aug. 4 (800-Folk Sch) in Brasstown, NC
            >or at Arrowmont in March or June of 2001 (865-436-5860) in Gatlinburg, TN.
            >
            >Enjoy the Magic,
            >Laura
          • Laura Sims
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 13, 2000
              Jill,

              I apologize for taking so long to reply. I've been marbling madly to get
              ready for a show. I will be at the Folk School in 2001 May 4-6 and July 29-
              August 4... 1-800-FOLK SCH

              Best, Laura