Masking and Urethane Coatings

  • peggy skycraft
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2004
      For a new masking paper see http://www.judikins.com for a product they
      have developed. It is about 6" wide, on a roll and the adhesive is
      removable, bery like 3M post it stuff. It can be cut off the roll,
      laid on a clean glass surface and cut into intricate shapes. The
      shapes may be laid down to serve as a mask for marbled art. Since it
      is just paper, it is a one time us. It may be run through the copy
      maachine or printer (with proper precautions please!) to make it
      easier to cut fancy shapes.

      Another good product is Judikins Diamond Glaze, a urethane water
      soluble varnish. It is a thick liquid which is used to make a shiny
      non-tacky finish on craft art. It may be diluted for may uses without
      becoming chalky or developing odd surface artifacts.

      I am now coating papers by using Diamond Glaze 8 parts of water to one
      part resin. It protected against rub off and water staining. This is
      good for treating papers which will go on the walls of a powder room.
      Coated papers can be splashed and wiped with a towel with no ill effects.

      I quickly apply the diluted wash with a wide foam brush, using an
      acrylic sheet as a backboard. I then use a soft door squeegee to whish
      off the excess, then hand the paper over a pipe to dry. Any puddles
      need to be removed with tissue or a towel so they will not dry into
      shiny spots.

      This is the best coating I have found. Most artist acrylic resins dry
      tacky! It is quite permanent and is non yellowing (although I will not
      put it on valuable antiquess of the family portraits.)

      Washy brushes with water immediately and dispose of the washing water
      properly (not in your septic system.) Don't get it on your clothes.
      There is no solvent for it that I know of. I really think you could
      add pigments and do up an Art Car with this stuff.