Making Marbling Trays

  • papermimi
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2004
      The resident handyman (DH) has agreed to make 4 trays for my marbling
      pleasures, two small, two large. . . . some for watercolor inks, some
      for acrylic paints. (these are in addition to two plastic Colophon
      trays I already use) So I have this question . . . .

      Does anyone know of any reason that the wood trays could not be
      painted with Olympic Premium Exterior Oil Gloss White paint? Will I
      be asking for trouble by not using polyurethane? DH seems to think
      that the exterior paint will be more durable for the wet purpose.
      But once the trays are painted with the oil-based paint, then I
      cannot repaint with a water-based acrylic or poly. As we are making
      the trays today, I'd like to paint them tomorrow. Any thoughts,
      anyone?

      Thank you