Re: Marbling on polymer clay

  • yikesallgone
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2004
      Actually great marbling look-alikes can be achieved in polymer clay
      by manipulating different colours before baking. Perhaps check out
      this site http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/cyclopedia/marbling.html.
      The example there is really elementary, but I have seen very
      sophisticated versions of this very basic technique.

      I do believe also that Polymer Clay Techniques, a book by Sue Heaser
      can be found in your bookstore or library. Ms. Heaser rules and so
      must have a demo in there! I just can't find my copy rght now to be
      certain that she does have an article on it.

      That said, these are all techniques to simulate marbling. If I wanted
      to decorate a polymer clay surface, I would use liquid sculpey
      (colour it) or Genesis paints (bakes just fine) and try marbling the
      surface using similar techniques to paper marbling. Perhpas float the
      Genesis paints in olive oil?? Just a thought!! Non-toxic when baked
      is my thought here.

      In the polymer clay world - faux malachite is made using a "marbling"
      look alike technique. Just search the net for faux malachite and you
      will see somewhat similar approaches to the technique that you will
      see on the polymerclaycentral site that I mentioned at the beginning.

      I hope this helps, I have been lurking on the site for eons...it
      would be lovely to help someone.

      Linda