Fw: Marbling on ceramic pieces

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10 3:40 AM
      A good opportunity for me to introduce myself and reply to your question. I am a potter who marbles on ceramic pieces. After working in clay for about 25 years, I took a detour into silk painting and marbling several years ago, became entranced by marbling, and then wondered if I could pick up those designs on the curved surfaces of my tiny to medium sized thrown weed bottles. Encouraged by Gail MacKenzie's marbling video, I began to try it out It took me a while to work out the details, but I now do it a lot, and it is wonderful...the unpredictability of how the designs will related to the curves of the pots. I use earthenware clay, fired to iits maturing temperature (at which point earthware is still porous, like flowerpots). Sometimes I use white clay and sometimes I coat the clay with one or another color of underglaze (I do a lot on black) before firing. Then I marble using Methocel and acrylic paints (Liquitex and Lumiere metallic fabric paints) I don't use alum...I did try it at the beginning but the paint adheres just as well without it. I don't wash off the size, because it is too hard to get it off without removing some of the design. I just let it drip off and evaporate. The pieces are fine to the touch after that unless they get wet, in which case they can be a little sticky, so I use a light coat of acrylic varnish over them, which enhances the colors and makes the surface nice and smooth and dry.

      I would love to hear from anyone else who is working on ceramic clay. My hope is to do a website at some point as I have nice slides of some of my pieces, but that probably won't be for a while as I don't have web design skills.

      Flo Rosenstock, Amherst MA

      florosenstock@...