Re: [Marbling] puzzlement over terminology; help

  • Dolores Guffey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2000
      In response to "water based marbling paints" and acrylics. I have been using acrylics for about 15 years with very good results. I have been using Liquidtex with no need to add either oxgall or photoflo. I do, though, use distilled water to dilute my paints. Also the water you use to make your carragehean size makes a big difference. It the water is too hard you will not have good marbling results. Try a small experiment using distilled water for your size and see if you have less trouble with your paints.

      One note about acrylic paints. Even within the same brand the colors react very differently. Unfortunately you will not know what works and what doesn't until you've bought it and used it. Some colors are "chasers," some just don't work, some work great and then the company changes its formula. A note on "chasers" if you put this color on and it forces all the other colors to the edge of the size reverse the order and put it on first. Generally that will solve the problem.

      The reason you need to alum your paper is that alum creates a chemical reaction which binds the pigmnet to the paper. The paints literally sit on top of the paper (as opposed to oil paint marbling in which the colors go into the paper and sometimes all the way through to the other side; there is no need to alum the paper when using oil paints).

      Hope this information is helpful.

      D.Guffey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2000
        Yes....most acrylics float on their own, so the main reason for a
        dispersant is to only adjust some to others. I am constantly amazed though
        how marbling works differently for all of us. I find that even though I
        have the world's hardest water, it is GREAT for marbling, and I make my
        size with it all the time. The main thing to get used to if your water is
        hard though, is that just how soft water gets better suds, it also makes a
        more viscous size bath. It's not that the hard water won't work, but to get
        the same viscosity you should add a little extra carrageenan.....for
        example, where the normal recipe calls for tablespoons, I use rounded ones
        and get great results. Whatever works....marbling is one big experiment
        after another!

        And Jill.....is your paint watercolor or acrylic? I suspect watercolor,
        with this pigment settling problem. All the watercolors do that to some
        degree, Cadmium red, and ultramarine blue being the worst culprits in my
        own paints, but they ought to shake back into the solution with a little
        coaxing. Try a little ball bearing, or several, in the jars and shake the
        dickens ought of them. If your size is way colder than the paints, this can
        cause shrinking and sinking, but it shouldn't be this drastic. If you
        happen to have a water softener, don't make size with this water (it
        wouldn't cause sinking but rather a pale fuzziness), buy bottled spring
        water.