Re: [Marbling] Moldy Inks

  • Caroline Tigeress
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
      Quick de-lurk :) I'm Caroline an artist in Vancouver, Washington.
      I'm new to marbling/marblizing, but I have had some expeirence iwth
      other mediums - one of them watercolor. One of my old teachers would
      swear by a few drops of vinegar in her rinse-water as it kept mold from
      forming in damp watercolour paint. I'd surmize, that dependent upon
      your pigments (I use golden acrylics) it shouldn't affect the
      sizing/matrix too badly if a drop or two of vinegar in the pigment would
      keep the nasty mold bits from forming. Just a thought, I've not tried it...

      ...returning to lurk mode, although I'm on wetcanvas ;) if anyone
      else is there ^_^

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
          I get plastic whisk brooms and cut them apart, tie with rubber bands at
          top. No mold, no problem, but moly paints give a nice stone effect.

          Today was an interesting experience. For you vets, here is your
          laugh for the day.

          What a surprise when I arrived at studio to marble. Lifted the
          plastic from the jars of inks and the whisks were right where I left
          them (about 4 days ago--hey, life happens, not everyday can be a
          marbling day although I did honestly believe I'd get back to it
          sooner) and loaded with white fuzzy mold! Never gave a thought to
          those corns molding. Ugh! I just want to marble . . . not put out
          fires! I wasted no time getting those things rinsed & cleaned with
          alcohol. . . stirred the paints and was off to the next
          adventure. . . . . . .testing my handmade paper

          Peggy -- you warned me about those whisks . . you'll be comforted to
          know that my bottles and yorker caps are on the way!

          Pamela

          <
        • papermimi
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
            Hmmm, Iris, I did consider that the mold might have been the "ash"
            that made the sunspots on the stone pattern.

            Pamela

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
              no such luck!