Moldy Inks

  • papermimi
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
      Today was an interesting experience. For you vets, here is your
      laugh for the day.

      What a surprise when I arrived at studio to marble. Lifted the
      plastic from the jars of inks and the whisks were right where I left
      them (about 4 days ago--hey, life happens, not everyday can be a
      marbling day although I did honestly believe I'd get back to it
      sooner) and loaded with white fuzzy mold! Never gave a thought to
      those corns molding. Ugh! I just want to marble . . . not put out
      fires! I wasted no time getting those things rinsed & cleaned with
      alcohol. . . stirred the paints and was off to the next
      adventure. . . . . . .testing my handmade paper

      Peggy -- you warned me about those whisks . . you'll be comforted to
      know that my bottles and yorker caps are on the way!

      Pamela
    • Caroline Tigeress
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
        Quick de-lurk :) I'm Caroline an artist in Vancouver, Washington.
        I'm new to marbling/marblizing, but I have had some expeirence iwth
        other mediums - one of them watercolor. One of my old teachers would
        swear by a few drops of vinegar in her rinse-water as it kept mold from
        forming in damp watercolour paint. I'd surmize, that dependent upon
        your pigments (I use golden acrylics) it shouldn't affect the
        sizing/matrix too badly if a drop or two of vinegar in the pigment would
        keep the nasty mold bits from forming. Just a thought, I've not tried it...

        ...returning to lurk mode, although I'm on wetcanvas ;) if anyone
        else is there ^_^

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
              Hmmm, Iris, I did consider that the mold might have been the "ash"
              that made the sunspots on the stone pattern.

              Pamela

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
                no such luck!