[Marbling] Re: Papers

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3 4:35 AM
      I just wrote on the pros and cons of acrylic and watercolor for the Guild
      Of Bookworkers Journal, it will be out within 6-7 weeks, or maybe can be
      viewed online at their site in a while. I no longer have the article, it
      got the them I know but got deleted on this end.

      I find the acryilics easier to use, but cannot use them for 17th-19th
      century reproduction which is what I mainly do. Otherwise I'd use them all
      the time.

      you may have older stock of Permalin, when that runs out, make sure when
      you order that you want a test sheet from the stock they will send. I did
      that and they sent me something different that did not work, they changed
      the chemistry. Basically, someone there said, yeah,yeah, sure, we always
      send the stock we sent test pieces of. I just got a 50% refund after many
      months arguing, which was wrong,it was their fault and they misled me, but
      they generally do not refund at all, I was just a pest. I have 3000 sheets
      i can't use. I have not tested with acrylics yet, haven't had time, but
      they may work a little better with them than watercolor. Still, I can't use
      them.I never do acrylic on paper, only on fabric.

      Iris Nevins
    • papermimi
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3 7:08 AM
        I'll be watching for your article, Iris. Peggy Skycraft does some
        gorgeous! acrylic marbling on paper . . .a quality to which I
        aspire. I also appreciate your info re Permalin. I've been put in
        touch with the Ohio rep who advises there "may" be some non-buffered
        inventory available. . .I've told him I must have written assurance
        they are such and have asked for test sheets. I'm hopeful for a
        reply today.

        I've been reading the archives re papers and would add that I am also
        a handpapermaker. Recently, I tried marbling a sheet of cotton/abaca
        mix. My experience was similar to that of other. . .during the
        vatting process, I add a size to prevent the paper from soaking in
        huge quantities of expensive acrylics (once it's dried and cured, I
        paint it and otherwise build surface). . . . this paper did not
        accept the watercolor inks (only very faintly) with or without the
        mordant,perhaps because of the size. I also make a kozo/gampi/abaca
        blend which I will test today. I love kozo or gampi blended with
        abaca for use as journal texts, although it finishes in the press
        with a slight textural tooth, it writes smooth as silk. I especially
        enjoy showcasing these papers with the handmarbles.

        Pamela

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Message #2331 irisnevins
        <irisnevins@c...> wrote:

        > I just wrote on the pros and cons of acrylic and watercolor for the
        Guild
        > Of Bookworkers Journal, it will be out within 6-7 weeks, or maybe
        can be
        > viewed online at their site in a while. I no longer have the
        article, it
        > got the them I know but got deleted on this end.
        >
        > I find the acryilics easier to use, but cannot use them for 17th-
        19th
        > century reproduction which is what I mainly do. Otherwise I'd use
        them all
        > the time.
      • Gail MacKenzie
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3 8:03 AM
          > hello Papermimi...I have a suggestion for acryli8cs. Ruppert, Gibbon and
          > Spider bought out the Jacquard line and did quite a bit of work and research
          > to refigure a line of colors for marbling. Everything works together quite
          > well...of course, thereĀ¹s still a little adjusting for the blackest of blacks!
          > Good luck! Go to www.jacquardproducts.com Regards, Gail M.

        • papermimi
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3 10:40 AM
            Thanks, Gail -- I did not know that about Jacquard merger
            (acquisition) -- headspinning changes going on in corporate US. How
            interesting. I have used Jacquard extensively in my paperpainting
            with great results, especially their Lumiere line. You don't say!
            Hmmmmm seems that marbling just might be the next big wave if
            Jacquard is offering a paint. hmmmmm I'll be off to investigate
            this tidbit of info. Thanks Gail

            Pamela

          • papermimi

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3 4:49 PM
                Pamela....are you the Pamela from Ohio who called me earlier? I have been
                trying to call for hours but it is busy. It is best to email me offgroup:

                irisnevins@...

                this will work better than the phone, I will be away from it a lot the next
                few days.

                Thanks,
                IrisNevins