Pot-Ash

  • renatocrepaldi808
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2004
      Hello everybody...

      I was reading the last posted messages and i got confused... There is two kind of potash that we can use to get the sun spot pattern...

      Potassium Hydroxide and Potassium Carbonate.

      The first one is a caustic potash and should be handled with extreme caution.
      The Potassium Carbonate is a kind of salt or ester of carbonic acid, also cold salt of tartar or pearl ash...It is easily extract from plants ashes. (thats why a file cold EYE.JPG QUASI-TIGER-EYES got very close to the sun spot pattern) If you have wood ashes on your fireplace, all you got to do is calcine those ashes and make a lixiviation with rain water than put the result water on fire for hours and when the water is totally evaporated you got pure potassium carbonate!(if somebody will try to do that , please search for detailed instruction first!) This kind of potash is commonly used to make fertilizer, glass and soap.

      Best Regards,

      Renato

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2004
        Thanks! I am going to try sometime! I wonder is it hazardous though, while
        cooking....can it blow up? What if you just evaporate it?

        Where are you from, have we met, you know much about the chemistry!