Re: [Marbling] creolin and tiger's eye

  • G. Dixon
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2004
      Laura
      I have been experimenting with tiger eye for a couple of years. The least toxic and easiest formula to work with is Hauptmann's which uses equal parts potash, soda ash (sodium carbonate - used by dyers as a fixer for procion dye, but I have also found that baking soda, sodium bicarbonate can work) and pulverized alum with water added to make a fairly thick, granular paste. Add this to your paint - the mixture should be fairly thick, then adjust with gall. Most paints will give you problems because they already have too much dispersant mixed in them, and too much dispersant causes the central eye to break up. If you can mix your own lamp black you will have an easier time. Directions for this and other Tiger spot formulas can be found on my website www.marblersapprentice.com.
      Let me know if you have success and difficulty.
      Garrett Dixon