Re: [Marbling] creolin and tiger's eye

  • Dave Allen
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2004
      Laura,
      It's a fairly common disinfectant, possibly containing phenol but it should be available through a veterarian.
      Dave
      At 05:59 PM 2/24/04 -0000, you wrote:
      >Hello
      >
      >I am a new member and an aspiring marbler based in the UK. I have been
      >reading avidly, mostly in the British Library, and know that some people have
      >had success with creolin as part of the ingredients for achieving tiger's eye or
      >sun spot marling. This product doesn't seem to exist in the UK and noone in
      >the US will send it to me as it is deemed hazardous. Does anyone know of
      >either a UK or European stockist that I can try? Or, an alternative magic
      >ingredient?
      >
      >Thank you for any advice
      >
      > Laura
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      David Allen
      840 Snowdrop Avenue
      Victoria, British Columbia
      CANADA V8Z 2N4
      (250) 888-9380
      http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

      We are here on earth to do good for others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
      -Wystan Hugh Auden, 1907 - 1973
    • G. Dixon
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2004
        Laura
        I have been experimenting with tiger eye for a couple of years. The least toxic and easiest formula to work with is Hauptmann's which uses equal parts potash, soda ash (sodium carbonate - used by dyers as a fixer for procion dye, but I have also found that baking soda, sodium bicarbonate can work) and pulverized alum with water added to make a fairly thick, granular paste. Add this to your paint - the mixture should be fairly thick, then adjust with gall. Most paints will give you problems because they already have too much dispersant mixed in them, and too much dispersant causes the central eye to break up. If you can mix your own lamp black you will have an easier time. Directions for this and other Tiger spot formulas can be found on my website www.marblersapprentice.com.
        Let me know if you have success and difficulty.
        Garrett Dixon