Marbling machines

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
      Some time ago I saw pictures of a simple machine that allowed precise
      movement of picks across a size, therefore allowing patterns to repeat
      fairly accurately from paper to paper. Has anyone ever seen one of these or
      worked with one?
      Thanks
      Jill
    • Peter Baumgartner
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
        I have a photocopy of a rare book from the beginning 20th century
        "Handbuch der Buntpapierfabrikation" (means: "Manual of fabrication of
        marbled and other papers"), in which the author August Weichelt
        described a special frame. It was used to produce "snail-figured"
        marbled papers and to bring the color accurately to the ground.

        I am going to weekend now, but on monday I will scan the picture of the
        frame and upload to my homepage.

        Peter
        -----------
        Peter Baumgartner
        Freiburg/Germany
        http://www.papierdesign.de
      • Peter Baumgartner
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
          There is a hint in Gabriele Grunebaum's "Buntpapiere" to Joseph Halfers
          Book "Die Fortschritte der Marmorierkunst" (published in english 1894
          called "Progress in Marbling"). Grunebaum writes, that in Halfers book
          is a description of a "machine" for bringing the drops in a a accurately
          way to the marbling ground. Perhaps someone on the list posseses this
          (I think very rare) book and could give more information.
          Peter
          ---------
          Peter Baumgartner
          Atelier f�r Papierdesign
          Freiburg/Germany
          http://www.papierdesign.de
        • IrisNevins
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
            I spoke to Gabrielle quite a few years ago, and she said she only knew of
            one broken one in a museum, I believe, somewhere in Germany. I have never
            seen one, but have seen the patent drawing, and it's quite large and
            complex. I have never seen one.

            I wish I had one this week.....doing hundered of the same paper!