Re: Alum on wood?

  • mpmh60201
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2004
      I speak only for myself here: yes, I alum the wood after it has
      been sanded smooth and wiped clean. If the species is on the
      soft side, I sometimes dampen the wood after sanding, let it dry
      completely and repeat the sanding/wiping to take down the
      raised grain, then alum. However, sometimes there are resins
      lurking in the wood that can't been seen or felt . This will cause
      patchy spots in the marbled pattern. I find that woods such as
      maple and walnut work exceptionally well as they are tight
      grained and respond to marbling like the surface of fine paper.
      -M