Alum on wood?

  • tmarthad
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2004
      Melina, Does one have to treat wood items before aluming?
    • mpmh60201
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2004
        I speak only for myself here: yes, I alum the wood after it has
        been sanded smooth and wiped clean. If the species is on the
        soft side, I sometimes dampen the wood after sanding, let it dry
        completely and repeat the sanding/wiping to take down the
        raised grain, then alum. However, sometimes there are resins
        lurking in the wood that can't been seen or felt . This will cause
        patchy spots in the marbled pattern. I find that woods such as
        maple and walnut work exceptionally well as they are tight
        grained and respond to marbling like the surface of fine paper.
        -M