Re: Marbling on Wood

  • mpmh60201
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 7 9:59 AM
      Melody,
      A low tack masking tape works well on maple because it's fine
      grained wood. Stronger adhesive tapes (such as duct) will leave
      a residue on the wood which might be difficult to remove without
      damaging the marbled areas. However, if you use wood such
      as oak, with an open grain, then the low tack will not work as the
      pigments will seep under the edges of the tape. Since I'm not a
      woodworker/turner, perhaps someone out there has a better
      solution. Also, the wood must be varnished after marbling. I
      leave this up to the turner to use a compatible finish. Some of
      the bowl shapes, sizes and grains have been quite challenging.
      One should always strive to enhance this rather than let the
      marbling take over (especially with color). Presently, my focus
      has reverted to more fine art works on paper. Good luck!
      Milena

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "MELODY BELLOCK"
      <melbellock@m...> wrote:
      > Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you
      used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
      > And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors
      used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
      > thanks
      > Melody

      Terms
      > of Service.

      of Service.

    • ANGEE
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7 6:33 PM
        How do we get to the site of the images?

        Angee

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7 6:51 PM
          Go into the site--on the left hand side is a menu--click on either photos or
          files--then click on which one you want to see.
          Jill
          > How do we get to the site of the images?
          >
          > Angee

        • Dave Allen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 9 8:24 AM
            Melina,
            It's very beautiful! What a marvellous blending of crafts.
            Dave

            David Allen
            840 Snowdrop Avenue
            Victoria, British Columbia
            CANADA V8Z 2N4
            (250) 888-9380
            http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

            Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only
            be maintained by violence. Any man who has once proclaimed
            violence as his method is inevitably forced to take the lie
            as his principle.
            Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn - Nobel Prize lecture, 1974
          • cfloate
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 14 5:39 PM
              Melody,
              You can also use Friskit. It comes is sheets or liquid form.
              Depending on the shape of your object you could use either. The
              liquid form is best for rounder shapes as it forms to the surface.
              The sheets may not adhere to the round surface as well and you might
              get some pigment under the Frisket that may not be laying tightly on
              the surface of the vessel.

              Friskit can be gotton at most any art supply store.

              Good luck.

              Carole

              wrote:
              > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top and
              middle?
              > Melody

              Service.

            • cfloate