Re: [Marbling] Re: Marbling on Wood

  • MELODY BELLOCK
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
      Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
      And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
      thanks
      Melody
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
        Melody,
        A low tack masking tape works well on maple because it's fine
        grained wood. Stronger adhesive tapes (such as duct) will leave
        a residue on the wood which might be difficult to remove without
        damaging the marbled areas. However, if you use wood such
        as oak, with an open grain, then the low tack will not work as the
        pigments will seep under the edges of the tape. Since I'm not a
        woodworker/turner, perhaps someone out there has a better
        solution. Also, the wood must be varnished after marbling. I
        leave this up to the turner to use a compatible finish. Some of
        the bowl shapes, sizes and grains have been quite challenging.
        One should always strive to enhance this rather than let the
        marbling take over (especially with color). Presently, my focus
        has reverted to more fine art works on paper. Good luck!

        <melbellock@m...> wrote:
        > Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you
        used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
        > And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors
        used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
        > thanks
        > Melody

        Terms
        > of Service.

        of Service.

      • ANGEE
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
          How do we get to the site of the images?

          Angee

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
            Go into the site--on the left hand side is a menu--click on either photos or
            files--then click on which one you want to see.
            Jill
            > How do we get to the site of the images?
            >
            > Angee

          • Dave Allen
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
              Melina,
              It's very beautiful! What a marvellous blending of crafts.
              Dave

              David Allen
              840 Snowdrop Avenue
              Victoria, British Columbia
              CANADA V8Z 2N4
              (250) 888-9380
              http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

              Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only
              be maintained by violence. Any man who has once proclaimed
              violence as his method is inevitably forced to take the lie
              as his principle.
              Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn - Nobel Prize lecture, 1974
            • cfloate
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 14, 2004
                Melody,
                You can also use Friskit. It comes is sheets or liquid form.
                Depending on the shape of your object you could use either. The
                liquid form is best for rounder shapes as it forms to the surface.
                The sheets may not adhere to the round surface as well and you might
                get some pigment under the Frisket that may not be laying tightly on
                the surface of the vessel.

                Friskit can be gotton at most any art supply store.

                Good luck.

                Carole

                wrote:
                > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top and
                middle?
                > Melody

                Service.

              • cfloate