Re: Marbling on Wood

  • mpmh60201
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
      If you are referring to the bowl:
      each section is masked off and marbled separately. The first
      pattern has to be totally dry before the second is marbled.
      Although the pattern edges are clear and crisp, I've hand painted
      metallic copper rings between each pattern to emphasize the
      designs.
      Milena

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "MELODY BELLOCK"
      <melbellock@m...> wrote:
      > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top
      and middle?
      > Melody

    • MELODY BELLOCK
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
        Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
        And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
        thanks
        Melody

        <melbellock@m...> wrote:
        > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top
        and middle?
        > Melody

      • mpmh60201
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
          Melody,
          A low tack masking tape works well on maple because it's fine
          grained wood. Stronger adhesive tapes (such as duct) will leave
          a residue on the wood which might be difficult to remove without
          damaging the marbled areas. However, if you use wood such
          as oak, with an open grain, then the low tack will not work as the
          pigments will seep under the edges of the tape. Since I'm not a
          woodworker/turner, perhaps someone out there has a better
          solution. Also, the wood must be varnished after marbling. I
          leave this up to the turner to use a compatible finish. Some of
          the bowl shapes, sizes and grains have been quite challenging.
          One should always strive to enhance this rather than let the
          marbling take over (especially with color). Presently, my focus
          has reverted to more fine art works on paper. Good luck!

          <melbellock@m...> wrote:
          > Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you
          used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
          > And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors
          used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
          > thanks
          > Melody

          Terms
          > of Service.

          of Service.

        • ANGEE
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
            How do we get to the site of the images?

            Angee

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
              Go into the site--on the left hand side is a menu--click on either photos or
              files--then click on which one you want to see.
              Jill
              > How do we get to the site of the images?
              >
              > Angee

            • Dave Allen
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
                Melina,
                It's very beautiful! What a marvellous blending of crafts.
                Dave

                David Allen
                840 Snowdrop Avenue
                Victoria, British Columbia
                CANADA V8Z 2N4
                (250) 888-9380
                http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

                Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only
                be maintained by violence. Any man who has once proclaimed
                violence as his method is inevitably forced to take the lie
                as his principle.
                Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn - Nobel Prize lecture, 1974
              • cfloate
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 14, 2004
                  Melody,
                  You can also use Friskit. It comes is sheets or liquid form.
                  Depending on the shape of your object you could use either. The
                  liquid form is best for rounder shapes as it forms to the surface.
                  The sheets may not adhere to the round surface as well and you might
                  get some pigment under the Frisket that may not be laying tightly on
                  the surface of the vessel.

                  Friskit can be gotton at most any art supply store.

                  Good luck.

                  Carole

                  wrote:
                  > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top and
                  middle?
                  > Melody

                  Service.

                • cfloate