Marbling on Wood

  • mpmh60201
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
      Wood images are now in jpeg format. Disregard last message
      about the pdf reduction to 75%.
      Milena
    • MELODY BELLOCK
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
        What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top and middle?
        Melody
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
          If you are referring to the bowl:
          each section is masked off and marbled separately. The first
          pattern has to be totally dry before the second is marbled.
          Although the pattern edges are clear and crisp, I've hand painted
          metallic copper rings between each pattern to emphasize the
          designs.
          Milena

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "MELODY BELLOCK"
          <melbellock@m...> wrote:
          > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top
          and middle?
          > Melody

        • MELODY BELLOCK
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
            Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
            And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
            thanks
            Melody

            <melbellock@m...> wrote:
            > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top
            and middle?
            > Melody

          • mpmh60201
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
              Melody,
              A low tack masking tape works well on maple because it's fine
              grained wood. Stronger adhesive tapes (such as duct) will leave
              a residue on the wood which might be difficult to remove without
              damaging the marbled areas. However, if you use wood such
              as oak, with an open grain, then the low tack will not work as the
              pigments will seep under the edges of the tape. Since I'm not a
              woodworker/turner, perhaps someone out there has a better
              solution. Also, the wood must be varnished after marbling. I
              leave this up to the turner to use a compatible finish. Some of
              the bowl shapes, sizes and grains have been quite challenging.
              One should always strive to enhance this rather than let the
              marbling take over (especially with color). Presently, my focus
              has reverted to more fine art works on paper. Good luck!

              <melbellock@m...> wrote:
              > Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you
              used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
              > And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors
              used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
              > thanks
              > Melody

              Terms
              > of Service.

              of Service.

            • ANGEE
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                How do we get to the site of the images?

                Angee

                > Wood images are now in jpeg format. Disregard last message
                > about the pdf reduction to 75%.
                > Milena

              • J Dolphin
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                  Go into the site--on the left hand side is a menu--click on either photos or
                  files--then click on which one you want to see.
                  Jill
                  > How do we get to the site of the images?
                  >
                  > Angee

                • Dave Allen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
                    Melina,
                    It's very beautiful! What a marvellous blending of crafts.
                    Dave

                    David Allen
                    840 Snowdrop Avenue
                    Victoria, British Columbia
                    CANADA V8Z 2N4
                    (250) 888-9380
                    http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

                    Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only
                    be maintained by violence. Any man who has once proclaimed
                    violence as his method is inevitably forced to take the lie
                    as his principle.
                    Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn - Nobel Prize lecture, 1974
                  • cfloate
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 14, 2004
                      Melody,
                      You can also use Friskit. It comes is sheets or liquid form.
                      Depending on the shape of your object you could use either. The
                      liquid form is best for rounder shapes as it forms to the surface.
                      The sheets may not adhere to the round surface as well and you might
                      get some pigment under the Frisket that may not be laying tightly on
                      the surface of the vessel.

                      Friskit can be gotton at most any art supply store.

                      Good luck.

                      Carole

                      wrote:
                      > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top and
                      middle?
                      > Melody

                      Service.

                    • cfloate