[Marbling] new member's problems

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
      If the paper is not the problem, then you must either use the alumed sheets
      within a few hours, or same day if you work with them damp, because the
      alum weakens if you store them damp even for one extra day.

      If you want to alum way ahead, the papers must be line dried in 55% or
      less humidity, and stacked to flatten. The room needs to remain fairly dry
      like that and I find the papers can keep even for years. I don't know why
      realuming doesn't work for you though.

      Hello everybody,

      As a new member in the group, let me introduce myself before anything...My
      name is Renato, I'm a brazilian who lived the last 5 years in Japan. I went
      back to Brazil one year ago when i got my first experience with marbling,
      ever since i've been struggling for better papers and i believe that i got
      pretty far from the start point but also believe that i'm pretty far from
      understand and control the whole process of marbling.
      That's where i found you guys, that's seem to be a great source of
      information, so great that i understand, in only 3 days, reading all
      messages posted since 2000 what i laboured through in one year marbling!
      that's why i got to say that i'm glad to be part of this group....
      Now...lets leave the past behind since we got a fresh new year
      ahead...happy new year for all by the way....
      All right, all right lets cut the crap out and go straight to the point...

      This is what i'm using:

      Carragenan: 11g~12g per liter of water
      Liquitex high viscosity acrilics
      80g/sqm and 120g/sqm papers
      Aluminum potassium sulphate: 35g per liter of water

      The big problem is that "sometimes" (usually 2 or 3 days after i treat the
      paper with the alum solution), when i'm rinsing the excess of size from the
      paper, the colors are rinsed too.
      At first time i think ...I'll just put more aluminum in the solution and
      everything will be fine right? Wrong....when i increase the aluminum ratio
      in the solution, the alum hold not only the color but also hold some size
      in the paper, and, when the paper is completely dried a glossy film remain
      over the colors, that look dull and lifeless.
      The funny thing is that the alum solution ratio that work fine in one day,
      is a completely disaster in another day.

      Does the temperature of the water used to rinse the paper matter?
      The size is too thick that's why it is sticking on the paper?
      Does a 80g/sqm and a 120g/sqm paper have to be treat by different alum
      solution?
      Anyone?

      Any advice/comment/clue/spell or enchantment will be very welcome.

      Regards,
      Renato

      <
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
        Thanks for this Iris--I was not aware about the storage of pre-alumed
        papers.
        Jill