Re:Calgon

  • PatV
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2003
      Is there any difference (chemically) between grocery store Calgon and dye
      house calgon?
      Thank you, PatV
    • peggy skycraft
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2003
        Yes there is a difference. "CALGON"is the official name for a
        proprietary product, which is made up of a combination of ingredients,
        depending on which region it is sold in. Sodium Hexemetaphosphate, the
        chemical name of a major active ingredient,is the one we want to use.
        The trouble is, "Calgon" has perfume and who knows what else in it.
        The less unknown additives, the better.

        So we want to use the plain ingredient, the "metaphosphate" part. The
        Rupert. Gibbon product called "Calgon" is really just the
        metaphosphate. Pro Chemical's equal product is also just the
        metaphosphate. Use these.

        The metaphosphate water softener is handy for household uses also: in
        laundry, scrubbing shower tile, in the bath, etc.

        Peggy Skcraft

        n Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "PatV" <fiberbrat@c...> wrote:
        > Is there any difference (chemically) between grocery store Calgon
        and dye
        > house calgon?
        > Thank you, PatV
      • rhoz
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 14, 2003
          --- peggy skycraft <peggy@...> wrote:
          > Sodium Hexemetaphosphate, the
          > chemical name of a major active ingredient,is the
          > one we want to use.

          well I was looking this up online to see what it did
          (I am sort of new to all the technical side of
          marbling although I have tried it with paints
          primatively for years) and found this link to terms...
          maybe not new to you all but thought I would list it
          in case it helped anyone else:

          http://www.dyeman.com/Glossary.htm#sectM

          Rhoz

          =====
          http://www.rhoz.com/rhozart.htm

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • peggy@skycraft.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 16, 2003
            Thanks Rhoz, the BATIK OETORO Glossary of textile terms is marbvelous
            and would be useful for any artist who wants to know more about
            materials. Thanks so much for sharing that link.

            Batik Oetoro is a textile supplier which stocks carrageenan and other
            supplies useful for marblers in Australia,New Zealande and Tasmania.A
            really excellent resource for those of you marblers who live "down under".

            Peggy

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, rhoz
            <rhozza@y...> wrote:

            > --- peggy skycraft <peggy@s...> wrote:
            > > Sodium Hexemetaphosphate, the
            > > chemical name of a major active ingredient,is the
            > > one we want to use.
            >

            > well I was looking this up online to see what it did
            > (I am sort of new to all the technical side of
            > marbling although I have tried it with paints
            > primatively for years) and found this link to terms...
            > maybe not new to you all but thought I would list it
            > in case it helped anyone else:
            >
            > http://www.dyeman.com/Glossary.htm#sectM
            >
            > Rhoz
            >
            > =====
            > http://www.rhoz.com/rhozart.htm

          • m.k.
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 16, 2003
              Roz
              do you know where is BUKO-UNDO company in NYC? This
              outfit supplies certain inks used widely in JAPAN. I
              am in the area but could not locate the firm.. Any
              news will be appreciated..

              http://photos.yahoo.com/
            • peggy@skycraft.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 16, 2003
                Boku-undo is made by a Japanese company! You can find these colors in
                many art stores and in mail order catalogues. Sax arts has them as do
                the school supply catalogues. Teachers like them, and those
                catalogs have quantity packaging as well as small kits.

                Diane maurer has Boku-undo supplies. She did a nice segment
                for Carol Duvall crafts TV and the instructions are still on that
                server. Just google it: Boku-undo.

                (from that page) marbling supplies
                Kodak PhotoFlo, Boku-undo marbling colors, marbling kits, paper,
                suminagashi paints, brushes.

                Diane Maurer-Mathison Hand Marbled Papers
                Spring Mills, PA
                US
                Phone: 814-422-8651
                Email: dkmaurer1@...

                best luck, Peggy SKycraft

                --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "m.k." <umayt@y...> wrote:
                > Roz
                > do you know where is BUKO-UNDO company in NYC? This
                > outfit supplies certain inks used widely in JAPAN. I
                > am in the area but could not locate the firm.. Any
                > news will be appreciated..

                > http://photos.yahoo.com/
              • del.mary.stubbs
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 16, 2003
                  try this url, scroll down to supplies ,
                  do let us - who are remote from NYC - hear what their shop is like, Del

                  "m.k." wrote:

                  > Roz
                  > do you know where is BUKO-UNDO company in NYC? This
                  > outfit supplies certain inks used widely in JAPAN. I
                  > am in the area but could not locate the firm.. Any
                  > news will be appreciated..

                  > http://photos.yahoo.com/
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  [click here]

                  > Service.

                • m.k.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 16, 2003
                    I have checked with one of the most valuable source of
                    information center in NYC business Library and found
                    NO detail about the buko-undo company... They are
                    either out of business of changed a name!! Any lead to
                    locate them is highly appreciated.. yours

                    http://photos.yahoo.com/
                  • gretchen vansant
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 16 6:39 PM
                      OK I read read and read some archives,There I am in the middle of them....no attention span, using calgon for hard water, and for contaminated vat. I would still like some answers from my last questions but meanwhile I've got a perfectly good vat in my basement waiting for a fix. There no way I'm gonna get the Hexametaphosphate by tomorrow ,I can't drain this monster and try to fit it in my fridge. Should I try this store"calgon" I have sitting here? tonight maybe using my immersion blender? It will be cool in the morning,maybe I could salvage this? thanks G

                    • dkmaurer1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 16 7:22 PM
                        I've never used the Calgon, but I remember Peggy running to the store to buy
                        the grocery variety at a conference we both attended when she was having
                        problems. According to her post, the Calgon will
                        also solve water problems when the water is too acid or has too many
                        minerals. I'd definitely try the grocery store variety.

                        Best,
                        Diane

                      • Gail Mackenzie
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 17 8:37 AM
                          You'll want to get the powdered calgon. The liquid calgon is a
                          different formulation and doesn't change the pH. I've got a couple of
                          boxes stashed away still. If you can't find the powder, I'll be glad
                          to send you a box. No longer using it for marbling (no longer
                          marbling) I found it to be a great stainless steel cleaner! Regards,
                          Gail