Fix your troublesome size

  • peggy skycraft
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 10, 2003
      Dear Angela:

      I have made thousands of exceptional scarves with very few "seconds."
      Believe me, I have suffered through every problem there is.

      Try adding Calgon when the problem happens, with the broken pattern
      and white spots. (Cherry blossems is my cute name for this.) Dissolve
      a tablespoon in hot water and stir half into your marbling bath (about
      two gallons of size.) Test the size and if there is still a problem,
      add the other part of the dissolved calgon and test again. I think
      your problem will be solved. Once you know this, you can add Calgon
      (metaphosphate) before you begin marbling.

      There are chemical changes when alum gets in the size, but I have
      worked for many days makeing hundreds of papers just adding fresh size
      and also calgon. I refrigerate the size overnight to avoic bacterial
      degradaton, which also causes similar problems. (colors breakup.)

      Get Calgon (sodium hexemetaphosphate) from Pro Chemica, in
      Massechusetts, or from Rupert,Gibbon in Healdsburg. CA.I find it to be
      a true lifesaver. Saves one from throwing away that expensive carrageen.

      I do not use Spectralite, but usually if there is too much dissolved
      acrylic (and the surfaactant that is in it) the problem would be that
      the paints may start to sink and not spread ourt.

      Dry air is not the problem. I can do good marbling no matter what the
      temprature or humidity is.

      Water too can be a problem. It should not be acid or too mineral.
      Calgon solves this too.

      Your tools can be scrubbed with Dutch Cleanser and a nail brush. Rinse
      well. One can also use isopropyl alcohol for a quick fix. I do not
      think dirty tools is part of your problem if the tools and such are
      used just for acrylic. I usually only have to clean everything if I
      want to use the setup for watercolor, which is not compatible with
      acrylic at all.

      Newspaper for skimming is not a problem chemically.

      Use not more than 1 tablespoon of alum per cup of water. Silk can be
      dipped and then put in the washingmachin spin dryer. This allows
      evenly alumed scarves, with less possiblility of alum dissolvingf in
      the size.

      Lay the scarf down, check that all areas have contacted the marbling.
      Remove the scarf immediately and do not allow the gel to drip back
      into the marbling tray. I drape them over a plastic pipe and rinse
      with gently running warm water from a hose. Do not bucket them to
      rinse as there is a good chance of pattern damage.

      Yours, Peggy Skycraft

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, DaveorRobin Olson <dave1robin@y...>

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 10, 2003

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 10, 2003
          Does all this just apply to acrylics? What about Calgon with watercolors?
          Not that I have any complaints.....sometimes ignorance is bliss. When I was
          figuring out marbling on my own with no one telling me right and wrong, I
          just merrily used my extremely hard tapwater for everything and it always
          worked. When I tried other things that were supposed to work they didn't.
          I'll try anything in an attempt to make things easier and better, but if
          anyone knows of the effect of these things on watercolor prior to my
          experimenting and wasting time and materials I'd be interested. I know
          Borax in the size is hell on my watercolors, as is water that comes from a
          watersoftener...things go pale and fuzzy. I have learned to make "just
          enough" size for the day though and have no interest in preserving it.
          After doing over 100 sheets it's shot anyway, full of filth and you can
          barely see anyway.

          iris nevins

> [...]
          > Remove the scarf immediately and do not allow the gel to drip back
          > into the marbling tray. I drape them over a plastic pipe and rinse
          > with gently running warm water from a hose. Do not bucket them to
          > rinse as there is a good chance of pattern damage.
          >
          > Yours, Peggy Skycraft
          >
          > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, DaveorRobin Olson <dave1robin@y...>
          > wrote:
          >> > Dear Angela,
          >> > I also marble some scarves but I don,t think your
          >> > problen is limited to fabric marbling. I have had this
          >> > problem both with paper and fabric. I was told it is
          >> > contamination with alum. You need to clean your tank
          >> > better between scarves.Always use the directions on
          >> > the alum pakage to make your alum solution. This very
          >> > problem came up in a marbling workshop I took this
          >> > weekend .(paper)and I have given you the instructors

          Sender:
          sentto-412943-2232-1071100451-irisnevins=compuserve.com@...
          o.com
          o.com
          To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
          From: Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@...>
          Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:25:43 -0800
          Subject: Re: [Marbling] Fix your troublesome size

          <
        • carylhanc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2003
            Hi, Peggy,
            Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions on working with size. Are you
            working with methylcel or carragheenan? I apologize if you hve mentioned that in
            your previous posts....
            Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
          • Gail MacKenzie
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2003
> [...]
              >> > think dirty tools is part of your problem if the tools and such are
              >> > used just for acrylic. I usually only have to clean everything if I
              >> > want to use the setup for watercolor, which is not compatible with
              >> > acrylic at all.
              >> >
              >> > Newspaper for skimming is not a problem chemically.
              >> >
              >> > Use not more than 1 tablespoon of alum per cup of water. Silk can be
              >> > dipped and then put in the washingmachin spin dryer. This allows
              >> > evenly alumed scarves, with less possiblility of alum dissolvingf in
              >> > the size.
              >> >
              >> > Lay the scarf down, check that all areas have contacted the marbling.
              >> > Remove the scarf immediately and do not allow the gel to drip back
              >> > into the marbling tray. I drape them over a plastic pipe and rinse
              >> > with gently running warm water from a hose. Do not bucket them to
              >> > rinse as there is a good chance of pattern damage.

            • Angela Drake
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2003
                After two marbling sessions I haven't definetly solved my problem,
                but I am not having as much trouble either. From everyone's
                descriptions, I am pretty sure it is alum contamination. I had
                increased the alum in my solution a couple of weeks ago. With a
                weaker solution, I have had less trouble. Meticulous skimming has
                helped. And I have also applied my paints more carefully (a very
                hard thing, as I do like to fling the paint a little). When my vat
                gets to the point that skimming doesn't help, I will try the calgon
                (is this the same Calgon as in the "Calgon take me away" commercials?)

                I have happily decided it is not the spectralite paints. They
                disperse wonderfully, comb well and take to the fabric so well that I
                didn't want to have to get rid of them. I can also dunk the finished
                scarf in a bucket without concern that my pattern will come off.

                The good news is that people seem to like the scarves I've shadow
                marbled. Of course, I don't tell them that they were marbled a
                second time because the first time I messed up!

                Finally, thank you so much for all the responses. At first, I was a
                little overwhelmed and began to doubt all that I had learned how to
                do. But it is great to have so much response in so little time.
                Some of the responses helped me "remember" to be more careful in
                basic techniques (do we all get a little lazy with things we think we
                understand?) and others have introduced ideas I hadn't heard of
                before.

                Angie

              • Angela Drake
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 11, 2003
                  Gail,

                  I have been using tap water with no trouble until a couple of weeks
                  ago. I know the Ph is low because we have to adjust the water for
                  our fish tank... hadn't considered it a problem for the marbling.
                  Looks like I'll be purchasing some calgon. Thanks!

                  Angie

                  --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@s...>

                  Service

                • Steve Bryant
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 16, 2003
                    Hello, Does anyone know of a class/workshop in the southeast region for marbling scarves or other fabrics? I've read books, etc, but I'd like the "hands-on" learning. thanks. Cynthia

                    wrote:
                    > Dear Angela,
                    > I also marble some scarves but I don,t think your
                    > problen is limited to fabric marbling. I have had this
                    > problem both with paper and fabric. I was told it is
                    > contamination with alum. You need to clean your tank
                    > better between scarves.Always use the directions on
                    > the alum pakage to make your alum solution. This very
                    > problem came up in a marbling workshop I took this
                    > weekend .(paper)and I have given you the instructors
                    > response. Good Luck.
                    > Robin Olson, Chicago
                    > --- Angela Drake <angiedrake@h...> wrote:
                    > > The last few times I've marbled, my size becomes
                    > > contaminated about
                    > > my fifth scarf into a session. It leaves bumpy,
                    > > blank spots in the
                    > > pattern and makes it very difficult to comb. I use
                    > > carrageenan as my
                    > > size and Spectralite paints. I had thought that cold
                    > > size was the
                    > > problem, but no longer. I was marbling outside while
                    > > the weather was
                    > > good (I live in Nevada, so it lasted a while) but
                    > > just moved my work
                    > > indoors and am having the same problem and the
                    > > temperature is about
                    > > 70F. If my tools are contaminated in some way, how
                    > > do I clean them?
                    > > I have read that I shouldn't use soap as it may
                    > > further contaminate
                    > > the size. The air here is very dry and we have
                    > > almost no humidity,
                    > > even in the house. Would this be a factor? Also, I
                    > > skim using
                    > > newspaper, but always have before with no problems.
                    > > Any suggestions
                    > > would be helpful as I am running out of ideas and
                    > > although I can
                    > > marble the scarves twice to lessen the impact of the
                    > > flaw, I would
                    > > prefer to get a great scarf the first time around. I
                    > > make enough
                    > > mistakes of my own without having to deal with size
                    > > with a mind of
                    > > its own. Thanks!
                    > >
                    > > Angie

                    > http://photos.yahoo.com/

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 17, 2003
                      Hi!
                      Laura Sims is teaching a week long workshop at Arrowmont (Gatlinburg, TN) in
                      late March. The website is www.arrowmont.org. Arrowmont was the site of the
                      Marbler's Gathering a year ago - great crafts center! (and the food is good,
                      too!)
                      HTH!
                      Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                    • James M Mahoney
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 18, 2003
                        Hello, Cynthia -
                        I will be teaching a one-day class of fabric marbling on February 19th in
                        New Bern, North Carolina if you are interested in that area of the
                        southeast. If this is of any interest, please e-mail me and I will give
                        you particulars.
                        Monita Mahoney