Artnewsletter Nr.2: About marbling etc.

  • Alain
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2003
      This week-end, I've sent out my Art Newsletter Nr.2 to my artists
      friends and so on. Hereafter is the text. If you are interested and want
      to receive the complete version by e-mail including illustrations, it's
      free: just e-mail me privately:

      Finally, I've done it ! It was a challenge to paint 1200 or
      1300 original marbled covers, all one of a kind for the
      Gleaner Zine Nr. 7, the quarterly artist's zine published by
      Sherylynne Carriveau
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheGleanerZine. I had promised
      it to Sherylynne nearly one year ago when the Gleaner was
      "only" issued at 500 or 600 copies. As months were passing,
      the challenge was getting bigger and bigger. In the end of the
      summer, I said "let's go" and fixed the deadline with
      Sherylynne to send her all the covers, for the special
      Francophile issue, just out two weeks ago. I had to be very
      disciplined with my time, but used the creative process to
      dream and relax after hard days at work.

      These covers have been realized using my personal technique of
      marbled painting. Here is some information about my own
      technique: In a bath of water (only water), 5 or 6 cm in a
      plastic plate, I pour a few drops of Levis enamel gloss
      painting (a Belgian trademark, the best one for this
      particular use - US or UK artists will probably need to
      experiment with different brands as I did before finding the
      best one). I only use the 3 primary colours: red, yellow and
      blue. The colours float on the surface of the water. I mix
      them only a little and let them spread and mix. When the
      colours are all displayed as I want, I lay my paper on the
      surface, in one shot. I'm not allowed to move the paper
      because when it picks up the colour, the paint forms a sort of
      delicate skin (it is not liquid anymore). Finally, I lift the
      paper off and lay it on a wooden board to dry. No need to
      rinse it. The result is a one of a kind marbled painting, an
      artistic mix of random and personal intervention.

      Ten years ago, I began marbling without knowing anything of
      the historical and mystical background of this technique. I
      discovered it a few years later through a demonstration by a
      Turkish painter who told us about it's multisecular tradition,
      used 1000 years ago by Persian soufis as a mean of meditating
      before beginning their circle dance. In the 18th century it
      was used for decorating cover page of books. I was amazed to
      discover my own private and inner way of working corresponded
      with a tradition old of many centuries. I practice this
      technique in a more free way. For me, it's also a kind of
      contemplation or meditation. I use my marbled papers in
      various ways: as a mail artist, I often do marbling on
      envelopes and send them to my mail art friends around the
      world. I also realize collaborative collages and artworks with
      artist friends, based on samples of my marbling: Damian
      Michaels, from Melbourne in Australia, who is also the editor
      of "Art Visionary Magazine", is preparing a dozen of works
      using big format marbled papers as backgrounds for his
      creations, to be exhibited in the South of France next year.

      For those who are interested, I also offer pieces of marbled
      paintings similar to the cover of the Gleaner at the following
      price:
      A4 size sheet US Dollars 2,- plus postage USD 1 for Europe,
      USD 2 for USA.
      Free postage with USD 10 purchase.
      You can request the colours and paperweight you want.
      Also available, marbled bookmarks (size +/- 2" x 8" - e-mail
      me for prices and quantities).

      [Image]

      My latest realization is an agenda illustrated with 24
      pictures of my artworks (digital art, collages, marbling, china
      ink). It's a 6" x 6" square wire-o-binded notebook, 84 offset printed
      colour
      pages with a hard cover.
      Hereafter is a sample of a double page from the French version.I'm
      realizing an English version. If you haven't any agenda yet for the new
      year to come and want an artistic one, or want to offer one, you can get
      one. The price is: 16 dollars or 14
      euros (+ shipping 6 dollars for USA, 3 euros for Europe - shipping free
      for any order of 2 ex. or more)

      Alain Valet - 50, rue Scheuer - 6700 Arlon -Belgium
      alainvalet@...
      http://www.magikglasses.com/aez/alainswf.html
      http://www.artmajeur.com/alainvalet

      If you want to be removed from this mailing, simply reply to
      this email with REMOVE in the subject line. Don't hesitate to diffuse
      this art letter to your friends or invite them to contact me in order to
      receive it. After removals and additions, this newsletter is still sent
      to 1,000 artists, art groups, publishers, music labels, etc.
    • ANGEE
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2003
        I would love a copy. Thanks. Angee
        Subject: [Marbling] Artnewsletter Nr.2: About marbling etc.

        > This week-end, I've sent out my Art Newsletter Nr.2 to my artists
        > friends and so on. Hereafter is the text. If you are interested and want
        > to receive the complete version by e-mail including illustrations, it's
        > free: just e-mail me privately:

      • Feridun Ozgoren
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2003
          Dear Angee,
          How can I e-mail you privetly to request a copy of this Artsnewsletter?
          Thanks very much.
          Feridun Ozgoren
          > This week-end, I've sent out my Art Newsletter Nr.2 to my artists
          > friends and so on. Hereafter is the text. If you are interested and want
          > to receive the complete version by e-mail including illustrations, it's
          > free: just e-mail me privately:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor