Discussion on Alum

  • Dolores Guffey
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2003
      I marbled with oil paint from 1976 to 1984 (not being aware of the acrylic option, having learned marbling from someone who only marbled in oils). The reason you don't need to alum the paper when using oils is that the oil paint literally soaks into the paper (and generally through to the back of the paper as well). After 1984 I've marbled only with acrylics and yes, you do need to alum your papers (I marble on carrageen) if you rinse them after marbling. There is a chemical reaction between the alum and the pigments in the paints which bonds the color to the paper. The color is only on the surface, it does not permeate the paper like oil paints.

      d.guffey