contaminated size

  • Angela Drake
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
      The last few times I've marbled, my size becomes contaminated about
      my fifth scarf into a session. It leaves bumpy, blank spots in the
      pattern and makes it very difficult to comb. I use carrageenan as my
      size and Spectralite paints. I had thought that cold size was the
      problem, but no longer. I was marbling outside while the weather was
      good (I live in Nevada, so it lasted a while) but just moved my work
      indoors and am having the same problem and the temperature is about
      70F. If my tools are contaminated in some way, how do I clean them?
      I have read that I shouldn't use soap as it may further contaminate
      the size. The air here is very dry and we have almost no humidity,
      even in the house. Would this be a factor? Also, I skim using
      newspaper, but always have before with no problems. Any suggestions
      would be helpful as I am running out of ideas and although I can
      marble the scarves twice to lessen the impact of the flaw, I would
      prefer to get a great scarf the first time around. I make enough
      mistakes of my own without having to deal with size with a mind of
      its own. Thanks!

      Angie
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
        If the spots are BLANK and bumpy, are they size lumps? If so thin the size
        or blend it better. What proportions do you use?

        I can't comment on Spectralite, but if they are not made specifically for
        marbling or are what others have tested, I would try different paints. Are
        they acrylics? There are enough people here who get good consistent
        results, so you might use what they use. I use my own paints, but many
        people use Golden acrylics successfully. Why not stick to what works for
        others.

        Acrylics do dry rapidly on exposure to air, the dryer, the quicker, and
        they either crackle up or make a skin. Run a humidifier if it is a problem.
        I like 65-70 degrees and 50-55% humidity.

[...]

        <
      • Angela Drake
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, irisnevins <irisnevins@c...> wrote:
          > If the spots are BLANK and bumpy, are they size lumps? If so thin
          the size
          > or blend it better. What proportions do you use?
          >
          > I can't comment on Spectralite, but if they are not made
          specifically for
          > marbling or are what others have tested, I would try different
          paints. Are
          > they acrylics? There are enough people here who get good consistent
          > results, so you might use what they use. I use my own paints, but
          many
          > people use Golden acrylics successfully. Why not stick to what
          works for
          > others.
          >
          > Acrylics do dry rapidly on exposure to air, the dryer, the quicker,
          and
          > they either crackle up or make a skin. Run a humidifier if it is a
          problem.
          > I like 65-70 degrees and 50-55% humidity.
          >
          > Iris Nevins
          >
          > Message text written by INTERNET:Marbling@yahoogroups.com
          > >
          > The last few times I've marbled, my size becomes contaminated about
          > my fifth scarf into a session. It leaves bumpy, blank spots in the
          > pattern and makes it very difficult to comb. I use carrageenan as
          my
          > size and Spectralite paints. I had thought that cold size was the
          > problem, but no longer. I was marbling outside while the weather
          was
          > good (I live in Nevada, so it lasted a while) but just moved my
          work
          > indoors and am having the same problem and the temperature is about
          > 70F. If my tools are contaminated in some way, how do I clean
          them?
          > I have read that I shouldn't use soap as it may further contaminate
          > the size. The air here is very dry and we have almost no humidity,
          > even in the house. Would this be a factor? Also, I skim using
          > newspaper, but always have before with no problems. Any suggestions
          > would be helpful as I am running out of ideas and although I can
          > marble the scarves twice to lessen the impact of the flaw, I would
          > prefer to get a great scarf the first time around. I make enough
          > mistakes of my own without having to deal with size with a mind of
          > its own. Thanks!
          >
          > Angie
          >
          > <
        • DaveorRobin Olson
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2003
            Dear Angela,
            I also marble some scarves but I don,t think your
            problen is limited to fabric marbling. I have had this
            problem both with paper and fabric. I was told it is
            contamination with alum. You need to clean your tank
            better between scarves.Always use the directions on
            the alum pakage to make your alum solution. This very
            problem came up in a marbling workshop I took this
            weekend .(paper)and I have given you the instructors
            response. Good Luck.
            Robin Olson, Chicago
            --- Angela Drake <angiedrake@...> wrote:
            > The last few times I've marbled, my size becomes
            > contaminated about
            > my fifth scarf into a session. It leaves bumpy,
            > blank spots in the
            > pattern and makes it very difficult to comb. I use
            > carrageenan as my
            > size and Spectralite paints. I had thought that cold
            > size was the
            > problem, but no longer. I was marbling outside while
            > the weather was
            > good (I live in Nevada, so it lasted a while) but
            > just moved my work
            > indoors and am having the same problem and the
            > temperature is about
            > 70F. If my tools are contaminated in some way, how
            > do I clean them?
            > I have read that I shouldn't use soap as it may
            > further contaminate
            > the size. The air here is very dry and we have
            > almost no humidity,
            > even in the house. Would this be a factor? Also, I
            > skim using
            > newspaper, but always have before with no problems.
            > Any suggestions
            > would be helpful as I am running out of ideas and
            > although I can
            > marble the scarves twice to lessen the impact of the
            > flaw, I would
            > prefer to get a great scarf the first time around. I
            > make enough
            > mistakes of my own without having to deal with size
            > with a mind of
            > its own. Thanks!
            >
            > Angie

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • Angela Drake
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 8, 2003
              I'm curious as to how the alum contaminates the tank. Does excess
              alum not soak into the fabric and then releases itself on the surface
              of the size? I have had the opposite response about skimming the
              tank... some think I skim to often and am diluting the size. I have
              a lot of experimenting to do this week!

              Angie

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, DaveorRobin Olson <dave1robin@y...>

            • gretchen vansant
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 8, 2003
                You do have some experimenting to do Angela,I will say this....not all paints work in carreggeenan,and not all visa versa,with methol cell. Good luck gretchen

                wrote:
                > Dear Angela,
                > I also marble some scarves but I don,t think your
                > problen is limited to fabric marbling. I have had this
                > problem both with paper and fabric. I was told it is
                > contamination with alum. You need to clean your tank
                > better between scarves.Always use the directions on
                > the alum pakage to make your alum solution. This very
                > problem came up in a marbling workshop I took this
                > weekend .(paper)and I have given you the instructors
                > response. Good Luck.
                > Robin Olson, Chicago
                > --- Angela Drake <angiedrake@h...> wrote:
                > > The last few times I've marbled, my size becomes
                > > contaminated about
                > > my fifth scarf into a session. It leaves bumpy,
                > > blank spots in the
                > > pattern and makes it very difficult to comb. I use
                > > carrageenan as my
                > > size and Spectralite paints. I had thought that cold
                > > size was the
                > > problem, but no longer. I was marbling outside while
                > > the weather was
                > > good (I live in Nevada, so it lasted a while) but
                > > just moved my work
                > > indoors and am having the same problem and the
                > > temperature is about
                > > 70F. If my tools are contaminated in some way, how
                > > do I clean them?
                > > I have read that I shouldn't use soap as it may
                > > further contaminate
                > > the size. The air here is very dry and we have
                > > almost no humidity,
                > > even in the house. Would this be a factor? Also, I
                > > skim using
                > > newspaper, but always have before with no problems.
                > > Any suggestions
                > > would be helpful as I am running out of ideas and
                > > although I can
                > > marble the scarves twice to lessen the impact of the
                > > flaw, I would
                > > prefer to get a great scarf the first time around. I
                > > make enough
                > > mistakes of my own without having to deal with size
                > > with a mind of
                > > its own. Thanks!
                > >
                > > Angie

              • peggy skycraft
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 10, 2003
                  Dear Angela:

                  I have made thousands of exceptional scarves with very few "seconds."
                  Believe me, I have suffered through every problem there is.

                  Try adding Calgon when the problem happens, with the broken pattern
                  and white spots. (Cherry blossems is my cute name for this.) Dissolve
                  a tablespoon in hot water and stir half into your marbling bath (about
                  two gallons of size.) Test the size and if there is still a problem,
                  add the other part of the dissolved calgon and test again. I think
                  your problem will be solved. Once you know this, you can add Calgon
                  (metaphosphate) before you begin marbling.

                  There are chemical changes when alum gets in the size, but I have
                  worked for many days makeing hundreds of papers just adding fresh size
                  and also calgon. I refrigerate the size overnight to avoic bacterial
                  degradaton, which also causes similar problems. (colors breakup.)

                  Get Calgon (sodium hexemetaphosphate) from Pro Chemica, in
                  Massechusetts, or from Rupert,Gibbon in Healdsburg. CA.I find it to be
                  a true lifesaver. Saves one from throwing away that expensive carrageen.

                  I do not use Spectralite, but usually if there is too much dissolved
                  acrylic (and the surfaactant that is in it) the problem would be that
                  the paints may start to sink and not spread ourt.

                  Dry air is not the problem. I can do good marbling no matter what the
                  temprature or humidity is.

                  Water too can be a problem. It should not be acid or too mineral.
                  Calgon solves this too.

                  Your tools can be scrubbed with Dutch Cleanser and a nail brush. Rinse
                  well. One can also use isopropyl alcohol for a quick fix. I do not
                  think dirty tools is part of your problem if the tools and such are
                  used just for acrylic. I usually only have to clean everything if I
                  want to use the setup for watercolor, which is not compatible with
                  acrylic at all.

                  Newspaper for skimming is not a problem chemically.

                  Use not more than 1 tablespoon of alum per cup of water. Silk can be
                  dipped and then put in the washingmachin spin dryer. This allows
                  evenly alumed scarves, with less possiblility of alum dissolvingf in
                  the size.

                  Lay the scarf down, check that all areas have contacted the marbling.
                  Remove the scarf immediately and do not allow the gel to drip back
                  into the marbling tray. I drape them over a plastic pipe and rinse
                  with gently running warm water from a hose. Do not bucket them to
                  rinse as there is a good chance of pattern damage.

                  Yours, Peggy Skycraft

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 10, 2003

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 10, 2003
                      Does all this just apply to acrylics? What about Calgon with watercolors?
                      Not that I have any complaints.....sometimes ignorance is bliss. When I was
                      figuring out marbling on my own with no one telling me right and wrong, I
                      just merrily used my extremely hard tapwater for everything and it always
                      worked. When I tried other things that were supposed to work they didn't.
                      I'll try anything in an attempt to make things easier and better, but if
                      anyone knows of the effect of these things on watercolor prior to my
                      experimenting and wasting time and materials I'd be interested. I know
                      Borax in the size is hell on my watercolors, as is water that comes from a
                      watersoftener...things go pale and fuzzy. I have learned to make "just
                      enough" size for the day though and have no interest in preserving it.
                      After doing over 100 sheets it's shot anyway, full of filth and you can
                      barely see anyway.

                      iris nevins

> [...]
                      > Remove the scarf immediately and do not allow the gel to drip back
                      > into the marbling tray. I drape them over a plastic pipe and rinse
                      > with gently running warm water from a hose. Do not bucket them to
                      > rinse as there is a good chance of pattern damage.
                      >
                      > Yours, Peggy Skycraft
                      >
                      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, DaveorRobin Olson <dave1robin@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      >> > Dear Angela,
                      >> > I also marble some scarves but I don,t think your
                      >> > problen is limited to fabric marbling. I have had this
                      >> > problem both with paper and fabric. I was told it is
                      >> > contamination with alum. You need to clean your tank
                      >> > better between scarves.Always use the directions on
                      >> > the alum pakage to make your alum solution. This very
                      >> > problem came up in a marbling workshop I took this
                      >> > weekend .(paper)and I have given you the instructors

                      Sender:
                      sentto-412943-2232-1071100451-irisnevins=compuserve.com@...
                      o.com
                      o.com
                      To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
                      From: Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@...>
                      Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:25:43 -0800
                      Subject: Re: [Marbling] Fix your troublesome size

                      <
                    • carylhanc@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 11, 2003
                        Hi, Peggy,
                        Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions on working with size. Are you
                        working with methylcel or carragheenan? I apologize if you hve mentioned that in
                        your previous posts....
                        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                      • Gail MacKenzie
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 11, 2003

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 11, 2003
                            After two marbling sessions I haven't definetly solved my problem,
                            but I am not having as much trouble either. From everyone's
                            descriptions, I am pretty sure it is alum contamination. I had
                            increased the alum in my solution a couple of weeks ago. With a
                            weaker solution, I have had less trouble. Meticulous skimming has
                            helped. And I have also applied my paints more carefully (a very
                            hard thing, as I do like to fling the paint a little). When my vat
                            gets to the point that skimming doesn't help, I will try the calgon
                            (is this the same Calgon as in the "Calgon take me away" commercials?)

                            I have happily decided it is not the spectralite paints. They
                            disperse wonderfully, comb well and take to the fabric so well that I
                            didn't want to have to get rid of them. I can also dunk the finished
                            scarf in a bucket without concern that my pattern will come off.

                            The good news is that people seem to like the scarves I've shadow
                            marbled. Of course, I don't tell them that they were marbled a
                            second time because the first time I messed up!

                            Finally, thank you so much for all the responses. At first, I was a
                            little overwhelmed and began to doubt all that I had learned how to
                            do. But it is great to have so much response in so little time.
                            Some of the responses helped me "remember" to be more careful in
                            basic techniques (do we all get a little lazy with things we think we
                            understand?) and others have introduced ideas I hadn't heard of
                            before.

                            Angie

                          • Angela Drake
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 11, 2003
                              Gail,

                              I have been using tap water with no trouble until a couple of weeks
                              ago. I know the Ph is low because we have to adjust the water for
                              our fish tank... hadn't considered it a problem for the marbling.
                              Looks like I'll be purchasing some calgon. Thanks!

                              Angie

                              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@s...>

                              Service

                            • Steve Bryant
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 16, 2003
                                Hello, Does anyone know of a class/workshop in the southeast region for marbling scarves or other fabrics? I've read books, etc, but I'd like the "hands-on" learning. thanks. Cynthia

                                wrote:
                                > Dear Angela,
                                > I also marble some scarves but I don,t think your
                                > problen is limited to fabric marbling. I have had this
                                > problem both with paper and fabric. I was told it is
                                > contamination with alum. You need to clean your tank
                                > better between scarves.Always use the directions on
                                > the alum pakage to make your alum solution. This very
                                > problem came up in a marbling workshop I took this
                                > weekend .(paper)and I have given you the instructors
                                > response. Good Luck.
                                > Robin Olson, Chicago
                                > --- Angela Drake <angiedrake@h...> wrote:
                                > > The last few times I've marbled, my size becomes
                                > > contaminated about
                                > > my fifth scarf into a session. It leaves bumpy,
                                > > blank spots in the
                                > > pattern and makes it very difficult to comb. I use
                                > > carrageenan as my
                                > > size and Spectralite paints. I had thought that cold
                                > > size was the
                                > > problem, but no longer. I was marbling outside while
                                > > the weather was
                                > > good (I live in Nevada, so it lasted a while) but
                                > > just moved my work
                                > > indoors and am having the same problem and the
                                > > temperature is about
                                > > 70F. If my tools are contaminated in some way, how
                                > > do I clean them?
                                > > I have read that I shouldn't use soap as it may
                                > > further contaminate
                                > > the size. The air here is very dry and we have
                                > > almost no humidity,
                                > > even in the house. Would this be a factor? Also, I
                                > > skim using
                                > > newspaper, but always have before with no problems.
                                > > Any suggestions
                                > > would be helpful as I am running out of ideas and
                                > > although I can
                                > > marble the scarves twice to lessen the impact of the
                                > > flaw, I would
                                > > prefer to get a great scarf the first time around. I
                                > > make enough
                                > > mistakes of my own without having to deal with size
                                > > with a mind of
                                > > its own. Thanks!
                                > >
                                > > Angie

                                > http://photos.yahoo.com/

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 17, 2003
                                  Hi!
                                  Laura Sims is teaching a week long workshop at Arrowmont (Gatlinburg, TN) in
                                  late March. The website is www.arrowmont.org. Arrowmont was the site of the
                                  Marbler's Gathering a year ago - great crafts center! (and the food is good,
                                  too!)
                                  HTH!
                                  Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                                • James M Mahoney
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 18, 2003
                                    Hello, Cynthia -
                                    I will be teaching a one-day class of fabric marbling on February 19th in
                                    New Bern, North Carolina if you are interested in that area of the
                                    southeast. If this is of any interest, please e-mail me and I will give
                                    you particulars.
                                    Monita Mahoney