Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 682

  • Gail MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      > I am a fabric marbler and needed to ask your expert advice. I purchased
      > some pickling alum from a Mennonite grocery store and I was wondering if
      > there is any difference between presoaking fabric for marbling with that
      > or with the alum I purchased from the dyehouse. My college age son
      > helped me do some chemistry experiments to see if both alums were the
      > same or different. We couldn't remember what to do after we got started
      > (his chemistry class was 3 years ago) so we tried several things. First
      > we burned both and they both bubbled. Then we put spoonfuls for each
      > alum into 2 separate containers of bleach, vinegar, ammonia, water,
      > alcohol. I think it was the alcohol that made the pickling alum rubbery.
      > Anyway, at the end of the experiments we decided that we have no idea if
      > they are the same or different in chemical composition. My last marbling
      > session seemed washed out with color not being what it should be but then
      > I was using several months old methyl cel. I use 20 gallons of methyl
      > cel and don't marble all the time as I am a quilter, teacher, etc. so I
      > usually marble all at once and then not for awhile. Is pickling alum the
      > same and therefore interchangeable with marbling alum? The cost and
      > shipping makes the pickling alum more affordable.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Linda Hall
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      Just off the very top of my head, and at the end of my days traveling....I¹d
      say they are probably the same. The pickling alum would be food grade and
      ³cleaner² AlSO4 is what you want and there are many levels of
      purity....which makes no difference for alumming for marbling because the
      impurities are insoluble. Happy post Thanksgiving!!