Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 682

  • G. Dixon
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
      Pickling alum is Potassium aluminum sulfate. It can be used, at least for paper which is what I have used it for. Aluminum sulfate is the traditional mordant for dyers, and I think is also better for paper marbling.
      Garrett Dixon----- Original Message -----
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        > I am a fabric marbler and needed to ask your expert advice. I purchased
        > some pickling alum from a Mennonite grocery store and I was wondering if
        > there is any difference between presoaking fabric for marbling with that
        > or with the alum I purchased from the dyehouse. My college age son
        > helped me do some chemistry experiments to see if both alums were the
        > same or different. We couldn't remember what to do after we got started
        > (his chemistry class was 3 years ago) so we tried several things. First
        > we burned both and they both bubbled. Then we put spoonfuls for each
        > alum into 2 separate containers of bleach, vinegar, ammonia, water,
        > alcohol. I think it was the alcohol that made the pickling alum rubbery.
        > Anyway, at the end of the experiments we decided that we have no idea if
        > they are the same or different in chemical composition. My last marbling
        > session seemed washed out with color not being what it should be but then
        > I was using several months old methyl cel. I use 20 gallons of methyl
        > cel and don't marble all the time as I am a quilter, teacher, etc. so I
        > usually marble all at once and then not for awhile. Is pickling alum the
        > same and therefore interchangeable with marbling alum? The cost and
        > shipping makes the pickling alum more affordable.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Linda Hall
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Just off the very top of my head, and at the end of my days traveling....I¹d
        say they are probably the same. The pickling alum would be food grade and
        ³cleaner² AlSO4 is what you want and there are many levels of
        purity....which makes no difference for alumming for marbling because the
        impurities are insoluble. Happy post Thanksgiving!!