fabric marbling/alum

  • enidadams
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2003
      Potassium aluminum sulfate is relatively inexpensive. 5 lb. of alum
      from Pro Chem lasts quite a while. I order 5 lb or by the pound when
      I'm ordering other materials to save on shipping. It works best
      fresh. So does methyl cellulose. Washed out fabrics could come from
      letting methyl cel sit around too long and lose it's viscosity, or
      old weakened alum soak. Alumned fabric exposed to air and light also
      tends to have less hold on the colors. If I'm not going to get to it
      right away, I store alumned fabric in a drawer or closet.

      I have trays I use for classes that marble a 12x18 sheet or quilter's
      fat quarter and only need 2 gallons of size. This might work well
      for you to keep on hand unless you're into your marbling intensive.
      When your're gearting up for that, it's worth starting with fresh
      ingredients for the best results. Good luck!

      Enid Adams - Surface Design Studio
      The Plains, VA
      540-253-5678