rare marbling books for sale....

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19 3:03 PM
      Hi everyone,

      I received an offer to buy these books, but I have them already and thought
      I would pass the opportunity to own them onto the list. They are quite
      expensive, but they will not be found at a better price anywhere...unless
      one is very, very lucky. If it makes anyone feel better....they are also a
      great investment that gives enjoyment while appreciating in value. I bought
      my Loring for $150 about 20 years ago, my Woolnough for $700 about 10
      years ago and have not regretted it. Both books are inspirational.
      Especially the Woolnough....he has been my inspiration. If I had to choose
      only one, it would be that one.

      and....no....I am not getting a cut! I am just enthused by these books
      appearing on the market at all. I waited YEARS for my Woolnough, and could
      barely afford the money at the time. Haven't had any regrets. I also have
      known this dealer for many years....he is honest and trustworthy, and a
      very pleasant person to deal with.

      Iris

      LORING, Rosamond B. MARBLED PAPERS. AN ADDRESS DELIVERED BEFORE
      THE CLUB OF ODD VOLUMES, NOVEMBER 16, 1932. Boston:
      The Club of Odd Volumes 1933. First Edition. Octavo. (x), 22, (30)
      pages. One of only 149 copies of Loring's first published
      work on paper marbling and
      paste papers. Loring discusses her experiences with paste paper and
      marbling as well as a history of marbling. Included are twelve
      examples of Loring's
      marbled and paste papers tipped in. The paste paper covers of the
      book are also by Loring. In addition this copy has two examples of
      marbled paper by an
      unknown maker laid in. Fine in original slipcase with minor wear.
      $1000.00

      WOOLNOUGH, C. W. THE WHOLE ART OF MARBLING AS APPLIED TO PAPER,
      BOOK EDGES, ETC..... London: George Bell and Sons 1881.
      Octavo. "Containing a full Description of the Nature and Properties
      of the Materials Used, the Method of Preparing Them, and of
      Executing Every Kind of
      Marbling in Use at the Present Time, with Numerous Illustrations
      and Examples." Bound in the original green cloth. 82 pages.
      Second and revised Edition
      of the first practical marbling manual superior to the first edition
      with much additional information. With one inserted plate, a
      facsimile of an 1856 letter by
      Michael Faraday to the author, and a total of sixty samples of
      marbled paper, including five leaves with a total of twenty small
      samples and thirty-four
      full-page samples made by or for the author, as well as six extra
      samples laid in at the rear. Light wear at the corners and spine
      tips with some fraying to the
      head. Crack to the text block at the title page but still tight. Near
      Fine copy of a scarce and important book.
      $2000.00

      --

      All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
      billed. Postage additional: $6.00 for the first book, $2.50 each

      CHARLES AGVENT
      291 Linden Road
      Mertztown, PA 19539-8750
      610-682-4750; FAX: 610-682-4620