Marbling on Fabric

  • Dolores Guffey
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 20, 2003
      Hi List,

      This is my 2 cents worth on fabric marbling. For many years I marbled silk scarves with excellent results using acrylic paints on a carragehean size. I used the same alum solution as for marbling paper, submerging the scarves in it and then hanging to dry (not necessary to pre wash, as there is no noticeable sizing in the silk). After they dried I ironed them smooth prior to marbling.

      Silk, taffeta, and satin all marble beautifully, as the natural sheen of the fabric comes through. I was not successful marbling 100% cotton, and somewhat successful with a 60/40 polyester/cotton blend. A textile artist explained to me that cotton "sucks" up all of the color and doesn't reflect it back, whereas silk reflects the color. I don't know how scientific that is, but it made sense to me. The marbled cotton looked beautiful wet, as soon as it dried it was "dead."

      I have never used reactive dyes, but I think that is the way marbling is done successfully on cotton. I have no experience there, maybe someone else on this list has used dyes.

      One hint I can give, is to use colored silk, and for paints use black, white, grey, and a little of whatever color the material is. The marbled pattern looks great and the silk material shines though. I stopped using white silk once I found how much better color silk looked.

      To build a marbling tank just for the scarves, my husband nailed an open rectangle (using 4 lengths of lath) slightly larger than the 9"x45" scarf. He then nailed another rectangle just larger than the first so that one sat inside the other (like a rectangle shaped embroidery hoop). Put a sheet plastic between the two rectangles and you have a marbling tank (the inside rectangle holds the plastic taut).

      After all is said and done, I still prefer marbling paper to marbling fabric.

      d. guffey

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 20, 2003
        Nice hint for a trough! I liked what Sandra Holzman did (or still does?
        Sandra, where are you?) with the 1 x 4s and the hook and screw eye system.
        You could make multiple temporary size trays. then the plastic sheet laid
        in, the size itself inside fit the sides to the wood. Then pop a hole in
        the corner to drain into buckets.

[...]

        <
      • TssEmb
        Message 3 of 26 , May 31, 2008
          I wish to learn to marble on cotton and silks. Where is the best place to
          find supplies?

          Betty
        • John Goode
          Message 4 of 26 , May 31, 2008
            Hi
            When I taught myself I used many dif supplies till I found the right
            ones,which was almost luck.It took 6 months a ton of money etc, at
            that time there was no book or DVD.
            My favotite paint is and was sinnellier from France. Pricey but it
            makes the best fabric out there that I have seen
            Try Dharma trading co
            Diane Maurer may have some that will work better.
            Maybe Galen Berry has some...anyone else.....?
            Now I make my own and I use Colophons Carageenan.
            Try Carageenan for fine art lines as Methyl Cellulose looked like mud to me.
            Another tip rinse the alum out before you heat set it or it will turn
            acidic and RUIN you wears!Its another step but your wears should last
            a life time not one wash as people will return to buy more.
            Good Luck
            John Goode

            On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:24 AM, TssEmb <tssemb@...> wrote:
            > I wish to learn to marble on cotton and silks. Where is the best place to
            > find supplies?
            >
            > Betty

          • TssEmb
            Message 5 of 26 , May 31, 2008
              I have always loved the look of marbled fabrics. Is it still popular with
              quilters?

              thank you for the tips.

              Betty

              > When I taught myself I used many dif supplies till I found the right
              > ones,which was almost luck.It took 6 months a ton of money etc, at
              > that time there was no book or DVD.
              > My favotite paint is and was sinnellier from France. Pricey but it
              > makes the best fabric out there that I have seen
              > Try Dharma trading co
              > Diane Maurer may have some that will work better.
              > Maybe Galen Berry has some...anyone else.....?
              > Now I make my own and I use Colophons Carageenan.
              > Try Carageenan for fine art lines as Methyl Cellulose looked like mud to
              > me.
              > Another tip rinse the alum out before you heat set it or it will turn
              > acidic and RUIN you wears!Its another step but your wears should last
              > a life time not one wash as people will return to buy more.
              > Good Luck
              > John Goode
              >
              > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:24 AM, TssEmb <tssemb@...> wrote:
              >> I wish to learn to marble on cotton and silks. Where is the best place to
              >> find supplies?
              >>
              >> Betty

            • John Goode
              Message 6 of 26 , May 31, 2008
                I dont think quilters can get enough of it!
                Quilters buy fabrics and horde them away for that special project.
                I would say that is a great market to look into.
                John

                On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:43 AM, TssEmb <tssemb@...> wrote:
                > I have always loved the look of marbled fabrics. Is it still popular with
                > quilters?
                >
                > thank you for the tips.
                >
                > Betty

              • TssEmb
                Message 7 of 26 , May 31, 2008
                  To start off with I wish to dye some silk braid or ribbon. I want it to
                  look like a variegated colors.

                  What do I need to do for this process? Is there a tutorial on it somewhere
                  online?

                  Betty

                  >I dont think quilters can get enough of it!
                  > Quilters buy fabrics and horde them away for that special project.
                  > I would say that is a great market to look into.
                  > John
                  >
                  > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:43 AM, TssEmb <tssemb@...> wrote:
                  >> I have always loved the look of marbled fabrics. Is it still popular with
                  >> quilters?
                  >>
                  >> thank you for the tips.
                  >>
                  >> Betty

                • John Goode
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 31, 2008
                    Hi
                    Dharma will have the dye and the info there too.
                    John

                  • TssEmb
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 31, 2008
                      Thank you.
                      Betty

                    • carylhanc@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 31, 2008
                        HI!
                        I marble both paper and fabric, and I use Golden acrylic paints, or any other
                        acrylic or fabric paint I can get my hands on, and methylcellulose. Either
                        caragheenan or methylcellulose will support the paints, and every marblier
                        will defend their choice to the death! Depending on where in the world you are,
                        Dharma (California) or Pro-Chemical (New Jersey) will meet your needs, when
                        you consider shipping. Both carry dyes, and fabric paints as well as alum and
                        M/C or caragheenan. Both companies have excellent instructions on their
                        website. I would also encourage you to get either Diane Mauler's book (Googol
                        her name) - I think it is called "The Ultimate Book on Marbling." Another
                        good book for starters is Laura Siam's book published as part of the Lark Weekend
                        Crafter's series.

                        I would also encourage you to practice with papers first rather than with
                        fabric, if for no other reason than economics.

                        Good luck and have fun!
                        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 31, 2008
                          Hi Caryl and Friends,

                          Just wanted to chime in here to say both my friend Nancy at Colophon and I
                          sell Carrageenan and I think our bulk rates are better than the big guys prices.
                          It would be great if you could help out your fellow marblers. I think we are
                          all struggling in this dreadful economy! Also, my name is spelled Diane
                          Maurer. You can see my prices and order a copy of The Ultimate Marbling Handbook or
                          carrageenan by visiting my website www.dianemaurer.com

                          Warm regards,
                          Diane

                        • Linda
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 1, 2008
                            Hi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let me
                            chime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it for
                            pennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a fat
                            quarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've lost
                            out on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to do
                            another "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of education.

                            Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you are
                            lucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have to
                            sell everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale at
                            five dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.

                            Also, I spent a year preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting to
                            see how the fabric would go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay the
                            wholesale price of $4 for a fat quarter, as they said they couldn't resell
                            it for $8. Not a lot of originality on their part. Plus, having to have a
                            large inventory almost takes the joy out of marbling. And the distributors
                            (which is how you want to go) wouldn't even stop and discuss.

                            We have been successful getting our work in books and in juried shows, but
                            these are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT art quilters will spend the
                            money (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk going for 22 dollars on
                            ebay), but you can't support yourself on that.

                            Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market - and
                            this is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of your
                            questions.

                            Linda in Tucson
                            --
                            Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art Fabrics
                            Marble-T Design
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 1, 2008
                              Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who been doing lots of venues for years selling things made out of marbled silk. Its hard work... But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all! Gretchen

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                                Hi all - we have a plexiglass tray made about 13 years ago that is 3 feet by
                                5 feet. Were we to do it over again, we would make it 4 feet by 5 feet, so
                                we can do a full yard, rather than just a three-quarter piece. The tray has
                                a petcock at one end, but it was made too small to really drain the tray -
                                and it leaked, so we usually bail by hand - but when we set the big tray up,
                                we do enough fabric so that we use most of the bath. With our current tray
                                we can do three 8 in x 54 in scarves at a time, if we want to. The tray is
                                heavy, but it stores pretty easily. We have several other trays made of wood
                                that we can line with plastic that we can set up for custom work, but we
                                don't do a lot of that anymore. We are searching for some new paints, as the
                                acrylics we use aren't always consistent in color.

                                Linda in Tucson
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                                  Hi had one made of PVC over 20 years ago, it was seamed together by a local plastics company I found in the yellow pages. It has a drain and screwcap at one end, that hangs off the table and drains the old size into buckets when done. It is about 27" X 80" and was not cheap but I have had it over all these years and it's still good. I had other sizes made too for other things.

[...]

                                  http://www.marbledfab.com<http://www.marbledfab.com/>
                                  Check out our eBay auctions!
                                  http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76<http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76>
                                  Blog: http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com<http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com/>

                                • Sue Cole
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                                    Since you said you didn't mind answering questions, what did you
                                    make your tank out of for the scarves?

                                    What doi you use for the colors? I have been experimenting with
                                    Jacquard Dynaflow and Golden Fluid Acrylics so far. I have been
                                    having to learn pretty much by myself, so appreciate any and all
                                    suggestions. I have most of the books written on marbling and 2
                                    dvd's, which have been a great help. One by Peggy Skycraft and
                                    the other by Mimi Schleicher.

                                    Also, I looked at your blog and found lots of great ideas, since I also
                                    teach art.
                                    Thanks for any info,
                                    Sue Cole
                                    Fairbanks, AK
                                  • onemarbler
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                                      Very nice work, Linda! Also an attractive website.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 5, 2008
                                        thanks, which paints have you used, and which ones are you having
                                        trouble with. right now, I have Golden Fluid acrylics and Jacquard
                                        DyNaFlow that I am experimenting with.
                                        Sue
                                      • Thomas D' Aquin
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                                          hello Gretchen, a few months ago you posted a message abojut an art exebition iin
                                          which you had several framed marblings, and which you were very disappoin ted.
                                          I would like to tell you about an art exibit whbich I went to aboujt twenty yhears ago in san diego.
                                          the exibit consisted of aboujt thirty framed paintings wbhich the artist listed as
                                          acrilic on paper. Over half the paintings were sold ast very good prices. the sizes were from 24 inches to over six feet. the artist was a lady fron Encenites, an upscale beach town n orth of san diego
                                          the lady's husband was a well known sports annojuncer. What was n ot m entikoned at
                                          the exibit was that the technique was marbling, which was very obvious to anyone
                                          familiar with this art.
                                          at that time, about 1989, marbling was not yet common knowle3dge.
                                          So, Gretchen, If you still hnave your framed marblings, try again to en ter an
                                          art exibit and instead of "marbling" use the word "floatation" as your technique.
                                          T. viavant

                                          To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

                                          Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who been doing lots of venues for years selling things made out of marbled silk. Its hard work... But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all! Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda <marblers2008@...> wrote:From: Linda <marblers2008@...>Subject: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on FabricTo: Marbling@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, June 1, 2008, 9:40 AMHi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let mechime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it forpennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a fatquarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've lostout on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to doanother "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of education.Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you arelucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have tosell everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale atfive dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.Also, I spent a year preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting tosee how the fabric would go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay thewholesale price of $4 for a fat quarter, as they said they couldn't resellit for $8. Not a lot of originality on their part. Plus, having to have alarge inventory almost takes the joy out of marbling. And the distributors(which is how you want to go) wouldn't even stop and discuss.We have been successful getting our work in books and in juried shows, butthese are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT art quilters will spend themoney (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk going for 22 dollars onebay), but you can't support yourself on that.Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market - andthis is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of yourquestions.Linda in Tucson-- Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art FabricsMarble-T Designhttp://www.marbledf ab.comCheck out our eBay auctions!http://members. ebay.com/ aboutme/marblers 76Blog: http://marbledmusin gs.blogspot. com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                                        • gretchen vansant
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                                            Thomas ,Thank you, very interesting, I have noticed other marblers using different names. Actually I believe that post was awhile ago. As I haven't framed anything for awhile. But I'm back in my studio as of today working diligently. It was a good day ALL pieces are useful. Now I originally just stretched stapled. But I'm looking at some better ways to frame. i-e batting ,building a frame around....Everything in time...thanks for thinking of me. I will be considering all of my fabrics uses now that I'm back in gear....Peace Gretchen

[...]

                                            To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun
                                            2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

                                            Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate
                                            marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who&nbsp;been doing
                                            lots of venues for years selling things made out of&nbsp;marbled silk. Its
                                            hard work...&nbsp;But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects
                                            and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all!
                                            Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;
                                            wrote:From: Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;Subject: [Marbling]
[...]

                                            <*> Your email settings:
                                            Individual Email | Traditional

                                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                            mailto:Marbling-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                            mailto:Marbling-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                          • Sue Cole
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 11, 2008
                                              I've also heard it referred to as "hydroprinting"
                                              Sue
                                            • dguff
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                                I, too, haven't had much luck with red. Although it is not my favorite color, reds do seem to sell well (I only marbled silk scarves). I solved the problem by buying blank scarves in numerous colors (red, included) and then marbled using black, grey, and white and also whatever color the scarf blank was as my marbling colors. The results were vivid as the colored silk background served to emphasize the pattern. I marbled with acrylics and only on silk, satin, or taffeta. When marbling on cotton the colors just went "blah..." and faded. I was told by a textile artist that cotten absorbs the color while the silk reflects it.

                                                I have 3 books on marbling on fabric and just checked out Amazon and they are all available used for a reasonable price:
                                                Marbling Techniques: How to Create Traditional & Contemporary Designs on Paper & Fabric by Wendy Addison Medeiros
                                                Marbling Paper & Fabric by Carol Taylor
                                                Marbling on Fabric by Daniel & Paula Cohen

                                                There was another title (which I don't own) which looked promising:
                                                Creative Marbling on Fabric by Judy Simmons

                                                In looking through my 3 books, all used acrylics as the paint medium.

                                                Hope this information helps,

                                                d. guffey

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                                  I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                                    could you send me these 3 marbling book i want them in my search
                                                  • marines bengoa
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                                      Hi Iris, Thank you for being so helpful.

                                                      Does ceram coat changes the feel of the fabric. This  is my eternal concern!!!

                                                      Marines

                                                      I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                                                      Iris Nevins
                                                      www.marblingpaper. com<http://www.marbling paper.com/>

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                                        No it leaves it soft.