Re: [Marbling] paper and fabric

  • gretchen vansant
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 20, 2003
      You Know ladies,I've found you to be quite negative.The stuff I made clothes from is "wedding material" and I don,t make children's clothes from it. It does not burn easily as the "silky from the acetates. Any way it was just experimenting.But when I,ve Asked about luminescent paints SEVERAL TIMES.I get no help.In fact I,ve had no response to anything I,ve inquired about,except this. "totally bummed" with this group Gretchen

      irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote: Also be warned, many "silky" womens' robes are made from this.....I love
      them in the summer, they feel so silky and cool.....but what to we tend to
      do first thing in the AM? Turn on the stove to boil water or make coffee
      .....the sleeves can drape into the flame...I have electric, but I quickly
      singed/melted a cuff, luckily it wasn't an open flame. This stuff should
      maybe be looked at instead of worn.

      > I believe there is a federal law against making children�s garment with
      this
      > fabric. At least I know that children�s sleepwear cannot be made with
      this
      > stuff. That is, if the fabric you are using is acetate . I still don�t
      know
      > what �acrylic� satin is. I meant to refer to the type of burns that you
      can
      > get from it as nasty. Be careful, don�t work with it in a drafty room by
      > candlelight!
      >
      > Well Gail,this nasty material as you interpreted,works great streched,and
      on
      > alot of things. I had one little girl thrilled with her new "marbled"
      > polyester bellie button pants
      > gretchen
      > Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@...> wrote: > Hello HH and Iris,
      >> > A question. Just what is �acrylic� satin? Most web sites refer me to
      >> types
      >> > of paint, or, otherwise give no information on the properties of
      acrylic or
      >> > synthetic satin? Are you referring to that nasty, flammable melts
      into
      >> your
      >> > skin stuff that some people like to pass off as silk? Gail
      >> >
      >> > Welcome to paper hell......LOL! I am finding that almost nothing works
      >> > anymore. It's a real problem. And that synthetic satin is wonderful,
      it has
      >> > zero snob appeal, it is not silk but sure is nice.
      >> >
      >> > Iris Nevins
      >> >
      >> > Message text written by INTERNET:Marbling@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 20, 2003

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 20, 2003
          sorry you are disappointed....I didn't comment on lum. paints because I
          don't know of any, nor do I know anyone who uses them. All I can say is to
          try the acrylic ones if they make them.
          iris nevins

          > You Know ladies,I've found you to be quite negative.The stuff I made
          clothes
          > from is "wedding material" and I don,t make children's clothes from it.
          It
          > does not burn easily as the "silky from the acetates. Any way it was
          just
          > experimenting.But when I,ve Asked about luminescent paints SEVERAL
          TIMES.I get
          > no help.In fact I,ve had no response to anything I,ve inquired
          about,except
          > this. "totally bummed" with this group Gretchen<
        • Gail MacKenzie
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 20, 2003
            > You Know ladies,I've found you to be quite negative.The stuff I made clothes
            > from is "wedding material" and I don,t make children's clothes from it. It
            > does not burn easily as the "silky from the acetates. Any way it was just
            > experimenting.But when I,ve Asked about luminescent paints SEVERAL TIMES.I get
            > no help.In fact I,ve had no response to anything I,ve inquired about,except
            > this. "totally bummed" with this group Gretchen
            >
            > irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote: Also be warned, many "silky"
            > womens' robes are made from this.....I love
            > them in the summer, they feel so silky and cool.....but what to we tend to
            > do first thing in the AM? Turn on the stove to boil water or make coffee
            > .....the sleeves can drape into the flame...I have electric, but I quickly
            > singed/melted a cuff, luckily it wasn't an open flame. This stuff should
            > maybe be looked at instead of worn.
            >
            > Iris Nevins
            >

            > Message text written by INTERNET:Marbling@yahoogroups.com
            >> >
            >> > I believe there is a federal law against making children¹s garment with
            > this
            >> > fabric. At least I know that children¹s sleepwear cannot be made with
            > this
            >> > stuff. That is, if the fabric you are using is acetate . I still don¹t
            > know
            >> > what ³acrylic² satin is. I meant to refer to the type of burns that you
            > can
            >> > get from it as nasty. Be careful, don¹t work with it in a drafty room by
            >> > candlelight!
            >> >
            >> > Well Gail,this nasty material as you interpreted,works great streched,and
            > on
            >> > alot of things. I had one little girl thrilled with her new "marbled"
            >> > polyester bellie button pants
            >> > gretchen
            >> > Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@...> wrote: > Hello HH and Iris,
            > acrylic or
            > into

            > it has

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Well, I¹m still asking what is the ³ synthetic/polyester/whatever satin² you
            are using. If I had any helpful information on paints right now, I would
            certainly pass it on. However, all I can relay is that I am not happy with
            just about every brand presently available. Maybe, the paint and the paper
            people have a conspiracy against marblers! Audios.

          • Laura Sims
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 20, 2003
              Dear Gretchen,

              Personally I'm not sure I have tried luminescent
              paints. Are you talking about glow in the dark stuff,
              florescent paint? The last paint like that I tried
              was years ago (Deka) and they have changed their paint
              formula so it is not satisfactory for marbling. If
              you do a little Research and Development I would be
              interested in what you find out. Ask Golden Paint Co.
              if they make any. Golden works well on methyl
              cellulose.

              Good Luck,
              Laura Sims
              Indigo Stone Marbling Studio
              --- gretchen vansant <fine_artist2002@...>

              Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
              http://companion.yahoo.com/
            • J Dolphin
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 20, 2003
                Not all questions about marbling can be answered here. There are More
                questions to come. And there is opportunity to get an overview of what
                people can and will do with material, paint, paper. The networking
                alone--on-list and off list is important to many. It is equally important to
                push the envelope and have great fun, in experimentation with this medium. I
                welcome debate and discussion and alerts about hazards and pitfalls--so that
                any reader can have a larger scope of knowledge. Certainly I am glad that
                the methods you employ bring you good results. Thank you for sharing that
                with us.
                Jill