Re: [Marbling] Introduction

  • D. Guffey
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 16, 2000
      At 07:31 PM 4/16/00 EDT, you wrote:
      >Hi, D. Guffey!
      >Thanks for the explanation of your device. I sort of have the picture.... I
      >was driving from Indy to Chicago last week for a stitching workshop, and
      >figured out an alternative - knot four threads, and stitch them through the
      >corners of the scarf. Clip the ends of the threads in bankers clips which
      >are attached to a long (wider than the scarf) board. That way I will have
      >control of the four corners. (The dog kept dropping her corner - <VBG>).
      >then, after the scarf is safely down on the size, I can unclip the threads,
      >and pull them out after rinsing. What do you think? I haven't had time to
      >try it yet - just got home yesterday.
      >Thanks for writing!
      >Caryl Hancock, Indy

      Hi Caryl,

      One of the advantages of marbling with silk is how smoothly it goes down on
      the size, with very little chances of air bubbles that you get with paper.
      One disadvantage I see to attaching the silk to a hard board is that you
      will increase your chances of getting air bubbles (voids) on your design.
      By keeping the silk drapped, dropping it to the center first and then laying
      down the ends, you have less of a chance of errors. But then again, nothing
      ventured, nothing gained.

      Best of luck in your adventures,

      d.guffey
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 24 , May 2, 2002
        Wow! Onelist was THIS email list at one point! They got bought out and
        taken over by Yahoo--which is why we're all here...............I
        started/opened a marbling forum at Delphi.com, as an alternate place to
        post. I was concerned that at some point Yahoo could flatten This email
        list--and a back-up would be handy. The Delphi site should still be
        operating--and has a much different 'face' in which to post. I think in some
        respects it is a better set-up--as threads can be grouped and information
        isolated...........Delphi however is about to go 'nova' in some
        way--requesting fees. It has not been completely instituted--so the marbling
        site I opened there has not been flattened--and remains free to use.
        To get to the marbling site at Delphi, this is the corrected link:
        http://www.delphiforums.com/
        They do the usual sign in--blah-blah-blah sign up bit. Once you get past
        That---you need to go here:
        http://forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start
        Anyone from here is welcome to post there and vice versa.
        Thanks
        Jill

        > Dear Jill, I have just stumbled across Message 1074 on the Onelist
        > site - is this the website I tried unsuccessfully to get into last
        > year - so far I see the notices are dated in the early 2000's. The
        > site I joined and then coudn't get any replies from was
        > www.delphi.com/marbling. I would like to contribute if I can access
        > it properly . . . . Joan Ajala---

      • sixshort
          Message 4 of 24 , May 4, 2002
            -Hi Jill, I signed into the www.delphiforums.com - no problem. How
            do you get into the next bit -
            forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start? I could find no links to
            that. I have been using a computer for only six months, and there
            are many gaps in my knowledge . . . . it is probably the simplest
            thing and blindingly obvious! Joan Ajala--