Re: [Marbling] Introduction

  • D. Guffey
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 9, 2000
      Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
      >can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
      >Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
      >carylhanc@...

      Hi Caryl,

      Although I've never done a scarf as wide as 36" I think you could
      incorporate a method I found to do long scarfs that were too long to hold at
      both ends. Get a very, very thin flexible rod (one that will bend a bit
      without breaking.) The rod should be slightly longer than the width of the
      scarf (36"), insert a needle at each end (hammer in the needle carefully as
      to not break off the eye, the larger the needle the better). Assuming your
      scarfs are pre-hemmed, bend the rod and stretch the scarf between the two
      needles. The tension of the needle at the hem edge will hold the scarf
      taut. Do this for opposite end of the scarf. Now hold up the scarf by the
      two rods, it will dip in the middle, let the middle drop down on the
      marbling tank (it somewhat anchors it in place) and then gently lower the
      two edges with the rods.

      This explanation is perfectly clear in my mind, I just hope I've described
      it enough to make sense. If not, e-mail me with what isn't clear and I'll
      try to re-describe it.

      Good luck,

      d.guffey
    • D. Guffey
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 16, 2000
        At 07:31 PM 4/16/00 EDT, you wrote:
        >Hi, D. Guffey!
        >Thanks for the explanation of your device. I sort of have the picture.... I
        >was driving from Indy to Chicago last week for a stitching workshop, and
        >figured out an alternative - knot four threads, and stitch them through the
        >corners of the scarf. Clip the ends of the threads in bankers clips which
        >are attached to a long (wider than the scarf) board. That way I will have
        >control of the four corners. (The dog kept dropping her corner - <VBG>).
        >then, after the scarf is safely down on the size, I can unclip the threads,
        >and pull them out after rinsing. What do you think? I haven't had time to
        >try it yet - just got home yesterday.
        >Thanks for writing!
        >Caryl Hancock, Indy

        Hi Caryl,

        One of the advantages of marbling with silk is how smoothly it goes down on
        the size, with very little chances of air bubbles that you get with paper.
        One disadvantage I see to attaching the silk to a hard board is that you
        will increase your chances of getting air bubbles (voids) on your design.
        By keeping the silk drapped, dropping it to the center first and then laying
        down the ends, you have less of a chance of errors. But then again, nothing
        ventured, nothing gained.

        Best of luck in your adventures,

        d.guffey
      • J Dolphin
        Message 3 of 24 , May 2, 2002
          Wow! Onelist was THIS email list at one point! They got bought out and
          taken over by Yahoo--which is why we're all here...............I
          started/opened a marbling forum at Delphi.com, as an alternate place to
          post. I was concerned that at some point Yahoo could flatten This email
          list--and a back-up would be handy. The Delphi site should still be
          operating--and has a much different 'face' in which to post. I think in some
          respects it is a better set-up--as threads can be grouped and information
          isolated...........Delphi however is about to go 'nova' in some
          way--requesting fees. It has not been completely instituted--so the marbling
          site I opened there has not been flattened--and remains free to use.
          To get to the marbling site at Delphi, this is the corrected link:
          http://www.delphiforums.com/
          They do the usual sign in--blah-blah-blah sign up bit. Once you get past
          That---you need to go here:
          http://forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start
          Anyone from here is welcome to post there and vice versa.
          Thanks
          Jill

          > Dear Jill, I have just stumbled across Message 1074 on the Onelist
          > site - is this the website I tried unsuccessfully to get into last
          > year - so far I see the notices are dated in the early 2000's. The
          > site I joined and then coudn't get any replies from was
          > www.delphi.com/marbling. I would like to contribute if I can access
          > it properly . . . . Joan Ajala---

        • sixshort
            Message 5 of 24 , May 4, 2002
              -Hi Jill, I signed into the www.delphiforums.com - no problem. How
              do you get into the next bit -
              forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start? I could find no links to
              that. I have been using a computer for only six months, and there
              are many gaps in my knowledge . . . . it is probably the simplest
              thing and blindingly obvious! Joan Ajala--