Introduction

  • carylhanc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 9 12:47 PM
      Hi!
      I have been lurking for a couple of weeks - thanks to Diane Maurer for
      giving me the address! And thanks to all for their generous sharing of
      information. The 2002 date is on my calendar! I don't remember how I
      learned to marble - probably self taught, then a *very* basic "Intro to
      Marbling" class got added to the list of other classes I was teaching at the
      time - machine embroidery, quilting, embellishment. Each time I teach, I
      realize how much I don't know, and I am in total awe of the folks who do
      production marbling. I wish I had time for more marbling, and space for a
      permament set up. My goals are to do more marbling and work to incorporate
      that fabric with other commercial fabrics into my wearable art. I think it
      is great fun to add stitching to bring out some of the lines of the marbling
      design. Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
      can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
      Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
      carylhanc@...
    • D. Guffey
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 9 2:17 PM
        Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
        >can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
        >Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
        >carylhanc@...

        Hi Caryl,

        Although I've never done a scarf as wide as 36" I think you could
        incorporate a method I found to do long scarfs that were too long to hold at
        both ends. Get a very, very thin flexible rod (one that will bend a bit
        without breaking.) The rod should be slightly longer than the width of the
        scarf (36"), insert a needle at each end (hammer in the needle carefully as
        to not break off the eye, the larger the needle the better). Assuming your
        scarfs are pre-hemmed, bend the rod and stretch the scarf between the two
        needles. The tension of the needle at the hem edge will hold the scarf
        taut. Do this for opposite end of the scarf. Now hold up the scarf by the
        two rods, it will dip in the middle, let the middle drop down on the
        marbling tank (it somewhat anchors it in place) and then gently lower the
        two edges with the rods.

        This explanation is perfectly clear in my mind, I just hope I've described
        it enough to make sense. If not, e-mail me with what isn't clear and I'll
        try to re-describe it.

        Good luck,

        d.guffey
      • D. Guffey
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 16 8:00 PM
          At 07:31 PM 4/16/00 EDT, you wrote:
          >Hi, D. Guffey!
          >Thanks for the explanation of your device. I sort of have the picture.... I
          >was driving from Indy to Chicago last week for a stitching workshop, and
          >figured out an alternative - knot four threads, and stitch them through the
          >corners of the scarf. Clip the ends of the threads in bankers clips which
          >are attached to a long (wider than the scarf) board. That way I will have
          >control of the four corners. (The dog kept dropping her corner - <VBG>).
          >then, after the scarf is safely down on the size, I can unclip the threads,
          >and pull them out after rinsing. What do you think? I haven't had time to
          >try it yet - just got home yesterday.
          >Thanks for writing!
          >Caryl Hancock, Indy

          Hi Caryl,

          One of the advantages of marbling with silk is how smoothly it goes down on
          the size, with very little chances of air bubbles that you get with paper.
          One disadvantage I see to attaching the silk to a hard board is that you
          will increase your chances of getting air bubbles (voids) on your design.
          By keeping the silk drapped, dropping it to the center first and then laying
          down the ends, you have less of a chance of errors. But then again, nothing
          ventured, nothing gained.

          Best of luck in your adventures,

          d.guffey
        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2002
            Wow! Onelist was THIS email list at one point! They got bought out and
            taken over by Yahoo--which is why we're all here...............I
            started/opened a marbling forum at Delphi.com, as an alternate place to
            post. I was concerned that at some point Yahoo could flatten This email
            list--and a back-up would be handy. The Delphi site should still be
            operating--and has a much different 'face' in which to post. I think in some
            respects it is a better set-up--as threads can be grouped and information
            isolated...........Delphi however is about to go 'nova' in some
            way--requesting fees. It has not been completely instituted--so the marbling
            site I opened there has not been flattened--and remains free to use.
            To get to the marbling site at Delphi, this is the corrected link:
            http://www.delphiforums.com/
            They do the usual sign in--blah-blah-blah sign up bit. Once you get past
            That---you need to go here:
            http://forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start
            Anyone from here is welcome to post there and vice versa.
            Thanks
            Jill

            > Dear Jill, I have just stumbled across Message 1074 on the Onelist
            > site - is this the website I tried unsuccessfully to get into last
            > year - so far I see the notices are dated in the early 2000's. The
            > site I joined and then coudn't get any replies from was
            > www.delphi.com/marbling. I would like to contribute if I can access
            > it properly . . . . Joan Ajala---

          • sixshort
              Message 6 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                -Hi Jill, I signed into the www.delphiforums.com - no problem. How
                do you get into the next bit -
                forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start? I could find no links to
                that. I have been using a computer for only six months, and there
                are many gaps in my knowledge . . . . it is probably the simplest
                thing and blindingly obvious! Joan Ajala--