Re: [Marbling] paper

  • Sonja Idema
    Message 1 of 47 , Nov 11, 2003
      Hi Iris!
      You said:

      > I pre alum, have for a quarter century. I
      > work dry with pre-alumed sheets though many say I cannot, LOL. The trick
      > is, if we have a paper with alum in the formula, it must be kept pretty
      > dry, under 55% humidity. But also for those who marble damp, maybe
      > they can
      > still dampen it and still have it work. Anyway, just fantasy stage at this
      > point. We need something that works NOW! Ingres is great, but
      > expensive and
      > textured.

      Could you explain what "buffering" is?
      Up north in Canada, I find that at times I can get away with not aluming
      my papers, but have now gone back to aluming them...much better
      results. I have used Ingres with good results but again as you have
      said, it is fairly expensive. I have been using Krypton Parchment (100%
      cotton rag) and Gilbert bond (25% cotton) with varied results.
      Actually, I was able to get away with marbling with no alum for a few
      years and now the colors seem to run off unless I do alum, but the
      results are much more crisp!
      I too tend to alum and dry papers completely before marbling...in fact,
      at times I will even iron my papers before I marble, just to get them
      really flat! (Maybe be a faux pas but never-the-less, it works for me!)

      Sonja

      IrisNevins wrote:

      > Don't worry, we will prevail!!!

    • Taracady
      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 13, 2014
        Iris, I love learning of these intricacies! Fascinating. I don't think we have opened ream 2 of that purchase, so I will definitely check it before distributing it. The balancing act of dilution/concentration of mordant, size and pigment can be challenging enough! Now buffering of paper adds to the mix. Thanks! Tara