Re: [Marbling] paper

  • IrisNevins
    Message 1 of 47 , Nov 11, 2003
      Don't worry, we will prevail!!!

      I am writing a horrible and strong letter to Permalin right now, with
      samples of old and new. I am sick. I was talking to Atlantic papers today
      and we are onto some reasonably priced, but more than we were paying, good
      papers. it will mean raising prices a bit no doubt. I will be writing this
      up this week for Marie and the Journal.

      The worst case scenario.....i am going to start working on an ideal paper
      for marbling with Atlantic I hope in the near future we discussed it this
      AM. I said....hey, forget the CC in the buffer....let's throw in handfuls
      of ALUM!!!

      My experience says this MAY work. I pre alum, have for a quarter century. I
      work dry with pre-alumed sheets though many say I cannot, LOL. The trick
      is, if we have a paper with alum in the formula, it must be kept pretty
      dry, under 55% humidity. But also for those who marble damp, maybe they can
      still dampen it and still have it work. Anyway, just fantasy stage at this
      point. We need something that works NOW! Ingres is great, but expensive and
      textured.

      I had more success with my buffered Classic Linen. I can use it pretty
      well, but deep red likes to dribble off a bit and I get a line at the
      bottom edge, which is ugly but no big deal.

      We will work this out.....promise.

      Thanks for the info Iris. What a terrible situation we're in !!!

      Warm regards,
      Diane
      <
    • Taracady
      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 13, 2014
        Iris, I love learning of these intricacies! Fascinating. I don't think we have opened ream 2 of that purchase, so I will definitely check it before distributing it. The balancing act of dilution/concentration of mordant, size and pigment can be challenging enough! Now buffering of paper adds to the mix. Thanks! Tara