Re: [Marbling] New Pictures Here...

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
      Rather unfortunately this is part of the spam issue the list is currently
      experiencing. As soon as I see the upload--I go in and delete it. Those that
      receive the digest might be spared--but those with individual email
      delivery--end up with the junk. I have reported this to Yahoo--and as I
      suspected--the only solution at the moment is make the whole list private.
      All this will mean is that as mod--I get first dibs on the offending email
      addie. I could improve the entry on demanding prospective list members by
      requesting profiles and such--but I would rather not invade someone's
      privacy this way. I have been monitoring the number of pieces of junk we are
      receiving--and must confess that I am reaching saturation in irritation.
      Bear with me please as I reach critical mass about how to combat this
      nuisance. In the meantime--for ALL readers--when you upload new files to be
      seen--PLEASE send in a second email to indicate to the list you have done
      so. For readers who are receiving individual email--you might want to switch
      over to reading at the group site--or take a digest form--as a mild
      circumvention of this most annoying problem.
      Jill
      list mom STILL using broom!
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
        I tried to link to something like this a couple of weeks ago and got the
        same results you did. I think it's a version of spam. The sender knows
        what subject heading will catch our attention. When we click, we're a
        captive audience for junk. Just my theory.

        Lavinia Adler

        On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:12:25 -0500 irisnevins <irisnevins@...>
        writes:
        > Is there something wrong with the link
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/Kolesnikzp74/index.html
        >
        > I get page not found, then a million popup ads that crash the
        > program....anyone else?
        >
        > Iris Nevins

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • V. Wilson
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
          I too have noticed the emails purportedly concerning marbling. For what
          it is worth, there is a similarity about the addresses (names and numbers,
          letters and numbers) so I delete them. I think Jill's suggestion about
          sending a second email advising that files are available for viewing, is a
          good one, and protects other members of the list. Currently I am being
          bombarded with pleading letters from Africa, and scam lotteries. Filters
          don't work because the emails always come in with different
          addresses. Shame there are people out there with nothing better to do with
          their time.

          Vi W
        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
            Just as you have posted this--I have received yet another
            membership--again--it is a nondescript yahoo addie......I simply wait
            now--to see if yet another picture uploaded message comes through---then go
            and whack it.........On days where I might not attend my own machine--these
            unwanted attentions could start to pile up--so--I am going over to take a
            closer look at making the list Private--what this all entails. I will let
            the list know in advance--if I make some radical changes for membership.
            Jill
            list mom getting irritated.........:(
            > I too have noticed the emails purportedly concerning marbling. For what
            > it is worth, there is a similarity about the addresses (names and numbers,
            > letters and numbers) so I delete them. I think Jill's suggestion about
            > sending a second email advising that files are available for viewing, is
            > good one, and protects other members of the list. Currently I am being
            > bombarded with pleading letters from Africa, and scam lotteries. Filters
            > don't work because the emails always come in with different
            > addresses. Shame there are people out there with nothing better to do
            with
            > their time.
            >
            > Vi W

          • V. Wilson
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
              Jill,

              I think the calligraphy list went private for similar reasons. Someone on
              this list might be able to give you more information.

              Vi