[Marbling] New Pictures Here...

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
      Is there something wrong with the link

      http://www.geocities.com/Kolesnikzp74/index.html

      I get page not found, then a million popup ads that crash the
      program....anyone else?

      Iris Nevins
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
        Rather unfortunately this is part of the spam issue the list is currently
        experiencing. As soon as I see the upload--I go in and delete it. Those that
        receive the digest might be spared--but those with individual email
        delivery--end up with the junk. I have reported this to Yahoo--and as I
        suspected--the only solution at the moment is make the whole list private.
        All this will mean is that as mod--I get first dibs on the offending email
        addie. I could improve the entry on demanding prospective list members by
        requesting profiles and such--but I would rather not invade someone's
        privacy this way. I have been monitoring the number of pieces of junk we are
        receiving--and must confess that I am reaching saturation in irritation.
        Bear with me please as I reach critical mass about how to combat this
        nuisance. In the meantime--for ALL readers--when you upload new files to be
        seen--PLEASE send in a second email to indicate to the list you have done
        so. For readers who are receiving individual email--you might want to switch
        over to reading at the group site--or take a digest form--as a mild
        circumvention of this most annoying problem.
        Jill
        list mom STILL using broom!
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
          I tried to link to something like this a couple of weeks ago and got the
          same results you did. I think it's a version of spam. The sender knows
          what subject heading will catch our attention. When we click, we're a
          captive audience for junk. Just my theory.

          Lavinia Adler

          On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:12:25 -0500 irisnevins <irisnevins@...>
          writes:
          > Is there something wrong with the link
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/Kolesnikzp74/index.html
          >
          > I get page not found, then a million popup ads that crash the
          > program....anyone else?
          >
          > Iris Nevins

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • V. Wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
            I too have noticed the emails purportedly concerning marbling. For what
            it is worth, there is a similarity about the addresses (names and numbers,
            letters and numbers) so I delete them. I think Jill's suggestion about
            sending a second email advising that files are available for viewing, is a
            good one, and protects other members of the list. Currently I am being
            bombarded with pleading letters from Africa, and scam lotteries. Filters
            don't work because the emails always come in with different
            addresses. Shame there are people out there with nothing better to do with
            their time.

            Vi W
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
              Just as you have posted this--I have received yet another
              membership--again--it is a nondescript yahoo addie......I simply wait
              now--to see if yet another picture uploaded message comes through---then go
              and whack it.........On days where I might not attend my own machine--these
              unwanted attentions could start to pile up--so--I am going over to take a
              closer look at making the list Private--what this all entails. I will let
              the list know in advance--if I make some radical changes for membership.
              Jill
              list mom getting irritated.........:(
              > I too have noticed the emails purportedly concerning marbling. For what
              > it is worth, there is a similarity about the addresses (names and numbers,
              > letters and numbers) so I delete them. I think Jill's suggestion about
              > sending a second email advising that files are available for viewing, is
              > good one, and protects other members of the list. Currently I am being
              > bombarded with pleading letters from Africa, and scam lotteries. Filters
              > don't work because the emails always come in with different
              > addresses. Shame there are people out there with nothing better to do
              with
              > their time.
              >
              > Vi W

            • V. Wilson
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
                Jill,

                I think the calligraphy list went private for similar reasons. Someone on
                this list might be able to give you more information.

                Vi