[Marbling] Marbling sox - a problem

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2003
      As a rule all acrylic marbled materials should only be hand washed, as in
      soaked in Woolite type soap for three minutes, or dry cleaned. There should
      be other more permanent fabric paints that may be able to stand a washing.
      This is a surface design and any scrubbing even on gentle cycle will scuff
      off the design.

      Even heat setting with an iron will not be foolproof. Personally I would
      just put them in the dryer for 20 min.to set them, and never machine wash.
      Others who marble fabric will likely know more.

      Iris Nevins
    • gretchen vansant
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 2003
        It is Important to heat set your colors buy putting them in the dryer after removing size.But also there are catylists(gee I,ve got that spelled wrong)that add to paint in the beginning that will help heat set.expensive but just a drop pur 1/2oz of paint. great idea by ther way! gretchen

        carylhanc@... wrote:Hi, All,
        I thought it would be fun to marble some sox for a church bazaar, and I have
        learned that while fun, it is *very* labor intensive! I made forms to
        stretch the sox on, and am using acrylic paints on carragheenan. I alum the sox,
        and let them dry. They come off the size with a very sharp and bright pattern,
        and keep the pattern in the bucket of water I swish them in to get out the
        carragheenan. Then I put them in the washer, short, gentle cycle, cool water,
        and a tiny bit of detergent. They come out faded, and grayed, and have lost a
        lot of the original sharpness of the pattern. Obviously, the washer is the
        problem.
        Could list members help me out here, please? Do they need to dry to set the
        pattern/paints before washing?
        Thanks in advance!
        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2003
          Hi, All,
          Many thanks to the list members for their suggestions. Back to the size tank
          to try them!
          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis