Introduction

  • johnacs@pacific.net.sg
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 26, 2000
      Greetings list members. I'm John Ang from Singapore. I'm very glad that this list is formed so that we can share our experience of
      marbling. My interest in marbling started when I bought a book titled "Paper Pleasures" by Faith Shannon.
      A chapter was devoted to marbling. My initial attempts at marbling did not yield satisfactory results, so I shelfed this creft.
      A holiday trip to Italy 3 years ago brought me into contact with marbling again. I was fortunate to meet a marbler in Venice who gave me a personal demonstration.
      From that day onwards, I was hooked. I scoure the Internet, bookstores, library for marbling information.
      Whenever I have time, I will do marbling. That could mean sometimes into the wee hours of morning.
      I'm still improving on my techniques. Please visit my website <http://home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>.
      I will be adding more information.

      Regards
    • Diane M. Wood
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 28, 2000
        Hi everyone,

        I'm Sissy. I was so delighted to see an announcement about this marbling
        group on another list I'm on. From the first post put out by Jill on this
        list, I realized I had found a jewel of a list. I love paper arts of all
        kinds. I make books, do art journaling, and create collages, cards, boxes,
        and so forth. Anything that can be covered is fair game.

        I'm not an experienced marbler, but want to be. Probably 8 years ago I took
        a one day class in marbling fabric (I was into quilting at the time). Then
        this past year I ordered a marbling kit and played with it some. I haven't
        been real satisfied with my results. I also have done a little suminigashi
        marbling. I hope to one day take a class from someone like Iris. I love
        adding marbled papers to my books and other creations.

        I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning from all of
        you.

        Sissy
      • J Dolphin
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 28, 2000
          Nice to meet ya Sissy!
          Speaking of suminigashi--who here on the list does this type of marbling
          more?
        • DKMaurer1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
            Hello -- I'm Diane Maurer-Mathison. I've been marbling, teaching workshops,
            selling marbling supplies and writing about paper art for about 20 years.
            (The last two books were PAPER ART and THE ULTIMATE MARBLING HANDBOOK.) I do
            mostly traditional watercolor and suminagashi marbling, but often explore
            paste papers, sometimes marbling over them to create special papers for
            collage. Its great to be part of the community --it gets lonely here in rural
            Pennsylvania!
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
              Now there's something! Marbling OVER a paste paper---if you have a file to
              upload to let us see what you mean--please feel free to do this. I will
              ask--your paste papers are themselves without texture? The paste papers I
              see here around Ottawa always seem to have paint very thickly
              applied--ridging and such--so--I am curious--if your papers are like
              that--the actual marbling on Top of the paper, sinking into the valleys of
              the page created with thick paint edges--what does that end up looking like?
              Thaks
              Jill

            • Bagladyann@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                Boy, I am really intimated about introducing myself after all these
                professionals on this list. I have always been intrigued with marbling. I had
                bought a kit a long time ago and so many things has prevent me from doing
                this. But at the ripe old age of 61 I seem to be on an art quest. I would
                like to learn how to do this, just for my personal use. I did take a class
                years ago and loved it. I like the idea of paste paper and then marble over
                it. As for me I am a widow of 22 years, raised 4 kids and am now just finding
                the time for me. Wont be much of an asset for this list, but I am interested.
                Hope you won't mind a lurker. Hugs & Sunshine Mikki
              • evibol@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                  Hi everyone,
                  My name is Evi Parissi. I am Greek and live in Piraeus near Athens.
                  I am really thrilled with the creation of this list, which is growing every day.
                  Thank you Jill for taking the initiative.
                  I am an amateur marbler and a craftsperson. I first became acquainted with
                  a very simple kind of marbling in England at a craft fair. A woman was
                  sprinkling oil paints in a tank filled with water, she was swirling the paints
                  with a stylus letting chance create beautiful random designs on a piece of
                  cloth. At the time I didn't know anything about marbling and it took many years
                  to accidentally come across a book called "Decorative Marbling" in a bookstore
                  in Athens to learn a bit more about this fascinating craft. Anyway, it took me
                  two more years to find more authoritative books to teach myself. Not being able
                  to get the right ingredients in Athens (carrageenan, alum, ox gall) my first
                  papers were a real mess. I was very frustrated but hooked, so I continued
                  searching the Internet, asking for advice and help. Norma Rubovits, a very
                  talented marbler answered a desperate message I had posted in some page and we
                  became cyber friends. When she gave me the address of Colophon book arts supply,
                  and I bought the right ingredients, I created the first presentable papers. Soon
                  I was able to produce beautiful papers. I don't have a studio and every time I
                  marble I turn my kitchen into an unbelievable mess, so I don't marble as often
                  as I would like. In September I had my first child, a baby boy, and marbling is
                  a distant dream. I don't know when I'll be able to go back to the tank but
                  eventually I will.
                  Evi
                • J Dolphin
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                    Of COURSE you are an an asset to this list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe with this
                    list--you are going to get the exact opportunity you seek to do hands on
                    marbling. And THAT will be terrific!!!!!
                    Jill

                    >From: Bagladyann@...
                    Wont be much of an asset for this list, but I am interested.
                    >Hope you won't mind a lurker. Hugs & Sunshine Mikki

                  • G
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                      Hi, I am Georgie McNeese and I haven't tried marbling, but it sounds
                      absolutely fascinating. I am looking forward to learning from all of
                      you. Thanks Jill for the list. It looks like it's going to be very
                      popular.

                      evibol@... wrote:

                      > From: evibol@...
                      >
                      > Hi everyone,
                      > My name is Evi Parissi. I am Greek and live in Piraeus near Athens.
                      > I am really thrilled with the creation of this list, which is growing every day.
                      > Thank you Jill for taking the initiative.
                      > I am an amateur marbler and a craftsperson. I first became acquainted with
                      > a very simple kind of marbling in England at a craft fair. A woman was
                      > sprinkling oil paints in a tank filled with water, she was swirling the paints
                      > with a stylus letting chance create beautiful random designs on a piece of
                      > cloth. At the time I didn't know anything about marbling and it took many years
                      > to accidentally come across a book called "Decorative Marbling" in a bookstore
                      > in Athens to learn a bit more about this fascinating craft. Anyway, it took me
                      > two more years to find more authoritative books to teach myself. Not being able
                      > to get the right ingredients in Athens (carrageenan, alum, ox gall) my first
                      > papers were a real mess. I was very frustrated but hooked, so I continued
                      > searching the Internet, asking for advice and help. Norma Rubovits, a very
                      > talented marbler answered a desperate message I had posted in some page and we
                      > became cyber friends. When she gave me the address of Colophon book arts supply,
                      > and I bought the right ingredients, I created the first presentable papers. Soon
                      > I was able to produce beautiful papers. I don't have a studio and every time I
                      > marble I turn my kitchen into an unbelievable mess, so I don't marble as often
                      > as I would like. In September I had my first child, a baby boy, and marbling is
                      > a distant dream. I don't know when I'll be able to go back to the tank but
                      > eventually I will.
                      > Evi

                      > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0
                      > percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden
                      > fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve.
                      > Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at

                      > Shortcut URL to this page:

                      Adel Ga Online
                      Webmeistress
                      http://www.adelga.com
                      Get Paid for surfing the web click here:
                      http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=EFW-151
                      Be sure to use ID# EFW-151
                    • ElizabethOrme
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 31 7:09 AM
                        Hello to everyone on the list.

                        My housband and J have created a web site regarding marbled paper:

                        Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us his way of marbling.
                        We are not professionals and we are located in Italy.
                        Our interest in decorated paper started in an old bookbinding shop where, for the first time, we saw woodengraved decorated paper ( xilography) and the traditional marbled ones.
                        Since then we read many books among which we may suggest:

                        Le papier maebré son histoire e sa fabrication     Doizy  Ipert

                        Marbling Paper     Anne Chamber

                        Marbled Paper   Richard J. Wolf

                        Varieties of Spanish Marbling    Iris Nevins

                        Since then we have lwasted a lot of paper, ox gall and colors.
                        Starting off with caragheen moss, worked in the old way, we have ended up using methilcellulosa and from the beginning we have been using goeche: Maimeri and Lukas.
                        We like doing spanish very much.
                        The reference model was  " New Jersey Ripple" by Iris Nevins in her book " Variety of.....

                        So thanks Jill for your invitation, we are now on the list.
                      • John Ang Cheng Siew
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 31 7:37 PM
                          Welcome to the list.

                          I was also fortunate to have met Mr Valese in Venice. We found his shop
                          while holidaying there. At that time I only had a passing interest in
                          marbling. We struck a conversation about his work and he was kind enough to
                          invite my wife and I to his studio where he demostrated marbling to us. He
                          did a piece of Italian vien and on that he did some flower design. I got to
                          keep that marbled paper. From that time onwards I found great interest in
                          marbling.

                          I believe Alberto using tragacanth gum for his size and he doesn't alum his
                          paper. I forgot to ask him what type of paint he uses. Do you have any idea?

                          Mr Valese shop is at Venice, S.Marco - Campo S. stefano 3471
                          P.S. He has a pet dog call sumi.

                          At 05:09 PM 31-03-2000 +0200, you wrote:
                          > Hello to everyone on the list. My housband and J have created a web
                          >site regarding marbled paper: www.lemarcheonline.net/venicepaper
                          >Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute
                          >to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us
                          >his way of marbling.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          .
                          .-P

                          John Ang Cheng Siew
                          My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
                        • carylhanc@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 9, 2000
                            Hi!
                            I have been lurking for a couple of weeks - thanks to Diane Maurer for
                            giving me the address! And thanks to all for their generous sharing of
                            information. The 2002 date is on my calendar! I don't remember how I
                            learned to marble - probably self taught, then a *very* basic "Intro to
                            Marbling" class got added to the list of other classes I was teaching at the
                            time - machine embroidery, quilting, embellishment. Each time I teach, I
                            realize how much I don't know, and I am in total awe of the folks who do
                            production marbling. I wish I had time for more marbling, and space for a
                            permament set up. My goals are to do more marbling and work to incorporate
                            that fabric with other commercial fabrics into my wearable art. I think it
                            is great fun to add stitching to bring out some of the lines of the marbling
                            design. Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
                            can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
                            Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                            carylhanc@...
                          • D. Guffey
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 9, 2000
                              Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
                              >can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
                              >Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                              >carylhanc@...

                              Hi Caryl,

                              Although I've never done a scarf as wide as 36" I think you could
                              incorporate a method I found to do long scarfs that were too long to hold at
                              both ends. Get a very, very thin flexible rod (one that will bend a bit
                              without breaking.) The rod should be slightly longer than the width of the
                              scarf (36"), insert a needle at each end (hammer in the needle carefully as
                              to not break off the eye, the larger the needle the better). Assuming your
                              scarfs are pre-hemmed, bend the rod and stretch the scarf between the two
                              needles. The tension of the needle at the hem edge will hold the scarf
                              taut. Do this for opposite end of the scarf. Now hold up the scarf by the
                              two rods, it will dip in the middle, let the middle drop down on the
                              marbling tank (it somewhat anchors it in place) and then gently lower the
                              two edges with the rods.

                              This explanation is perfectly clear in my mind, I just hope I've described
                              it enough to make sense. If not, e-mail me with what isn't clear and I'll
                              try to re-describe it.

                              Good luck,

                              d.guffey
                            • D. Guffey
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 16, 2000
                                At 07:31 PM 4/16/00 EDT, you wrote:
                                >Hi, D. Guffey!
                                >Thanks for the explanation of your device. I sort of have the picture.... I
                                >was driving from Indy to Chicago last week for a stitching workshop, and
                                >figured out an alternative - knot four threads, and stitch them through the
                                >corners of the scarf. Clip the ends of the threads in bankers clips which
                                >are attached to a long (wider than the scarf) board. That way I will have
                                >control of the four corners. (The dog kept dropping her corner - <VBG>).
                                >then, after the scarf is safely down on the size, I can unclip the threads,
                                >and pull them out after rinsing. What do you think? I haven't had time to
                                >try it yet - just got home yesterday.
                                >Thanks for writing!
                                >Caryl Hancock, Indy

                                Hi Caryl,

                                One of the advantages of marbling with silk is how smoothly it goes down on
                                the size, with very little chances of air bubbles that you get with paper.
                                One disadvantage I see to attaching the silk to a hard board is that you
                                will increase your chances of getting air bubbles (voids) on your design.
                                By keeping the silk drapped, dropping it to the center first and then laying
                                down the ends, you have less of a chance of errors. But then again, nothing
                                ventured, nothing gained.

                                Best of luck in your adventures,

                                d.guffey
                              • J Dolphin
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                                  Wow! Onelist was THIS email list at one point! They got bought out and
                                  taken over by Yahoo--which is why we're all here...............I
                                  started/opened a marbling forum at Delphi.com, as an alternate place to
                                  post. I was concerned that at some point Yahoo could flatten This email
                                  list--and a back-up would be handy. The Delphi site should still be
                                  operating--and has a much different 'face' in which to post. I think in some
                                  respects it is a better set-up--as threads can be grouped and information
                                  isolated...........Delphi however is about to go 'nova' in some
                                  way--requesting fees. It has not been completely instituted--so the marbling
                                  site I opened there has not been flattened--and remains free to use.
                                  To get to the marbling site at Delphi, this is the corrected link:
                                  http://www.delphiforums.com/
                                  They do the usual sign in--blah-blah-blah sign up bit. Once you get past
                                  That---you need to go here:
                                  http://forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start
                                  Anyone from here is welcome to post there and vice versa.
                                  Thanks
                                  Jill

                                  > Dear Jill, I have just stumbled across Message 1074 on the Onelist
                                  > site - is this the website I tried unsuccessfully to get into last
                                  > year - so far I see the notices are dated in the early 2000's. The
                                  > site I joined and then coudn't get any replies from was
                                  > www.delphi.com/marbling. I would like to contribute if I can access
                                  > it properly . . . . Joan Ajala---

                                • sixshort
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                                      -Hi Jill, I signed into the www.delphiforums.com - no problem. How
                                      do you get into the next bit -
                                      forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start? I could find no links to
                                      that. I have been using a computer for only six months, and there
                                      are many gaps in my knowledge . . . . it is probably the simplest
                                      thing and blindingly obvious! Joan Ajala--